Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Evolution of the IJA Bread Bag (1889-1945)

Article about: Evolution of the IJA Bread Bag (1889-1945) This is the companion piece to the canteen story, covering its evolution through the same timeframe. Bread Bag or Haversack? The word in Japanese i

?

Great job once again Nick - just helped me correctly identify a bread bag!

Regards

Russ

Hi,

A very useful topic like always. Should be pinned with the other. Thanks to the author !

Cheers,
    Mat

Hello, I recently read in the observations of American Attaches that the bread bag used in the Russo Japanese War was "strengthened on the seams by leather". Is this true?

Thanks,

Chris

Well Done Nick! Thanks,G.

Although they did field-test versions with the bottom and back panels in leather, the model 1892 breadbag was not known to have leather reinforced seams all around. It is, however, possible that the very top seam with the canteen hook was leather-reinforced to withstand the weight of having to support a full canteen. MPs were also issued all leather bread bags in black at that time.

Every image I have seen of the Japanese soldiers has the canteens being carried outside of the bag. Were hooks eventually omitted? Or were they just kept with the original 1892 design pattern and the standard operating procedure modified?

As already explained in the article, the canteens had their own shoulder carry strap by the Russo-Japanese War, so they were no longer inside the bread bags. However, corresponding changes were not made to the bread bags until the model 1914.

If you have further questions, please start separate threads instead of attaching them to my articles, as I frequently add to them and wish to keep them free of chatter for future readers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2