Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version

Article about: The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version This is a updated and expanded version of an article I originally released a month ago. Foreword The army’s standard infantryman’s

?

Tokkuri that model was introduced in 1897 and finish service in 1930, that version with canvas harness start service in 1922, yours are near 1930 time

Thanks Type4. Rereading Nick's history leads me to think that as these 2 canteens were brown they date from the 'glut' period around 1915 being painted green post 1920 for issue.

Also the first example with the frayed webbing harness has only one buckle (helping its survival in one piece!). As this matches the leather harness design could this webbing harness in fact pre-date the standard webbing version?

Cheers,
    Tony

Here are a few more detailed photos of a mint canteen I used in post 25 with the all canvass straps introduced in November 1942. Note that the canteen body is also made in 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version   The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version  

The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version  

For future reference, I will also add here, the manufacturer's logo information I recently figured out.

A logo on the body of canteens and mess-kits, combining the character サ, within a diamond had long baffled me. It was the trademark of Ikeda Aluminum in Osaka. The owner was named "Sawazo Ikeda" and the diamond mark represented the built up circumference of a water well called "Igeta (well timber-ties)" a pun on his family name. In the middle he placed "Sa" from Sawazo.

A company name that did not survive the war and a joke-like logo based on a pun on the name of the owner made it a difficult puzzle to solve, but I finally figured it out.

A photo of a traditional water well should also show you where the diamond comes from.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version 

Example of above marking on canteen bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version 

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Hi Nick great info as usual, by chance would you know what the ro in the square represents?

Thank you, Bill
    Last edited by SHEMP H; 03-27-2020 at 12:13 AM. Reason: wrong word

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Hi Nick great info as usual, by chance would you know what the ro in the circle represents?

Thank you, Bill

Sorry for the double post I tried to cancel post # 66 but could'nt

"Ro" in the square was the "B" specification launched in 1939, which I discussed in post 20. At that time I was not aware why this was being proposed as a substitute spec, but I realize now in rereading the spec list that the point was that these were made from scrap aluminum recycled from pots and pans collected from households. The latest B-spec update of 13th July 1942 indicates the actual average aluminum content of recycled metal to be only 9.75%. See here for wartime metal recycling drives.

It was mandatory for B-spec products to be marked with "Ro (B)" at the bottom. Those without this mark were the earlier "I (A)" spec versions.

Thank you Nick

Bill

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast