Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version

Article about: The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Prolog During the Russo-Japanese War, the army received a letter dated 28th April 1905 from a private inventor, who had the idea t

Nick, this is an outstanding job!

congrats.

Here's a nice Star-vent repro, which even has the arsenal stamp on it. It is no longer produced, but they can be dangerous when aged, so watch out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

?

It hardly seems adequate but many thanks for this thread Nick , it's first class .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Outstanding research and detail Nick!

Many thanks for putting this mammoth thread together!

Regards

Russ

?

Nick,
    I'm late to give my 'thanks', not just for this thread but the others that have been up-loaded. I'm relatively new to collecting Japanese items and you are presenting fascinating details that are not available in the reference books. 'Thanks' doesn't seem enough for your willingness to share in this manner what must have taken many years of investigation.

Steve.

?

The reference to an extra heavy helmet for special circumstances has reminded me of something I remember seeing about 30 years ago or more. I was told it was a Japanese WW2 helmet, and looked much like the ones you show in the above article. It was however very heavy and looked to have been lathe finished on the outside.
    Dave

I still have no Type 98 to show you, but at least here is an early prototype of the helmet as described in my article. It is with an additional shell of armour riveted in . Also my guess that a Type 98 was without any star attached in front has been confirmed by material found in an old collection in Japan. They painted the star on front.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

?

Nick, I have this interesting helmet in my collection. Star is period to helmet & different than standard type 90 star. It has added piece of metal in dome. I had put it in civilian defense/late war category based on liner & chinstraps. Perhaps a prototype?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

I would keep it in the civil defense category. The property stamping for "Nomura Manufacturing" firmly marks it as civilian as well as the liner and rings. I do not see, though, how they could avoid getting arrested by Kempei with such a glaring star offense during the war.

?

Agree. I knew you'd say that about star but it is original to helmet & unique. Was Nomura the manufacturer/maker of the helmet or who used it? I'm fairly certain I own another helmet with extra brow plate but if my memory is correct it too is civilian defense

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast