Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)

Article about: The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945) Once again, please no interruptions until the last photo says THE END. Foreword In my past research on helmet covers, I cam

A good friend came over this afternoon with both an Army and a Navy sun helmet. His Army helmet is pretty much like the one I have coming but has been issued and is marked. Here are photos of it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)   The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)  

The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)   The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)  

The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)   The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)  

The Navy helmet is very interesting. It's much the same as the Army example but does not have the three small loops around the outside edge for tying it to a steel helmet. Also the adjustable strap inside appears to be some kind of rubberized canvas with a rivet adjustment instead of a buckle.
    I think the exterior of this helmet may have been white or a cream color when new.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)   The Evolution of the Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet (1915-1945)  

?

Issued army pith helmet is neat with unit symbol & owners name stitched. Navy is a humped up army in my opinion & not period original.

Really? Seems unlikely to me with the exterior color difference, no sign of a sewn on star ever being there, only one label inside and the three loops being absent. I'd like a second opinion on this even thought it isn't mine.

?

I've had numerous variations white army pith helmets & many had metal stars. This is clearly an army format pith helmet. Only late pattern had loops along edge to attach to steel helmet. I'd be surprised if second interior label wasn't removed.

You are the head gear guru so I'm sure you're right. Can you post a few photos of a Navy example? I have no dog in this argument - it just looks like that anchor has always been there.

?

Here are two types of navy pith helmets. First type which resembles type 90 helmet is in my opinion a "true" SNLF pith helmet. Perhaps not exclusive to but most commonly associated with. They are extremely rare & I feel lucky to have this one even with obvious condition issues. From interior photo you can see a sewn in clear plastic ( rarely survive!) sleeve for owners name, info etc. It has a delicate leather chinstrap. The insignia appears to to be gilt bronze/brass. These insignias are around & often added to non navy headgear post war.

?

This is what I call British/Safari style pith helmet. These were private purchase for both army & navy. All are slightly different & many have labels from makers within Japanese occupied countries. This example is a blue gray/ green. Others I own are white & tan.

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Issued army pith helmet is neat with unit symbol & owners name stitched.
    I'm wondering if that stitched "unit symbol" is a stylized "ta/da" and part of the name?

Depending on direction of reading:
    益田
    Masuda

田益
    Tamisu

The written name, depending on direction of reading is:
    ツミタ Tsumita
    タミツ Tamitsu

--Guy

Very nice examples Jareth. You are finally getting pretty good with a camera too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast