Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)

Article about: Evolution of the Label Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945) The Order of the Rising Sun has had a very long history, which continues to this day. And because the order has stay

Default Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)

The Order of the Rising Sun has had a very long history, which continues to this day. And because the order has stayed virtually unchanged for so many years, dating the order is a tricky problem. One feature that helps in dating is the style of lapel badge that came with the order. Most people know that the bow tie type ribbon was from the Meiji/Taisho era, but very few people know the exact details of how and when they changed designs.

From the time of introduction in 1875, they changed three times in 1877, 1921 and 1936. The following diagram allows you to follow the whole history of these changes at a glance.

As you see, it was only from 1936 that each class got a distinctive lapel badge. Previously, several classes shared the same badge, so one could not pin-point the class from the lapel badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 11-06-2016 at 10:48 PM.

?

Really helpful information , many thanks Nick .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by nick komiya View Post

The Order of the Rising Sun has had a very long history, which continues to this day. And because the order has stayed virtually unchanged for so many years, dating the order is a tricky problem. One feature that helps in dating is the style of lapel badge that came with the order. Most people know that the bow tie type ribbon was from the Meiji/Taisho era, but very few people know the exact details of how and when they changed designs.

From the time of introduction in 1875, they changed three times in 1877, 1921 and 1936. The following diagram allows you to follow the whole history of these changes at a glance.

As you see, it was only from 1936 that each class got a distinctive lapel badge. Previously, several classes shared the same badge, so one could not pin-point the class from the lapel badge.
    Thanks for the nice chart, Nick. Slightly off-topic, but why have I seen so many 8th Class Golden Kite lapel rosettes (3 rays) despite there being no 8th class of this award?

Rich, a very good question, which I did not realize until you just brought it up. The answer is that the Golden Kite rosettes also went through evolutionary steps similar to that of the Rising Sun rosettes.

When they dropped the bow-tie ribbon in 1921, the 3-rayed rosette you refer to came to represent the 6th and 7th classes of the Golden Kite, but only between 1921 and 1936. This rosette, therefore, did not exist any more after 1936 and during WW2. Here is the Golden Kite rosette's evolution at a glance, as taken from the Navy's Master Regulation book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)   Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 11-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Fantastic Nick. Another very informative post. Thank you.

You are welcome, but have we stopped practising what we preach about acknowledging someone's efforts? This forum makes "thank you" just a click of the mouse, yet even that click is hard to come by sometimes.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    You are welcome, but have we stopped practising what we preach about acknowledging someone's efforts? This forum makes "thank you" just a click of the mouse, yet even that click is hard to come by sometimes.
    Of course I'm being a bit cheeky by clicking the "like" and "thank you" buttons this time. But you're right Nick -- I should make the effort to leave a substantial post to say thank you.

So, thank you for sharing the fruits of your research. Honestly, without your input we -- most of us -- would be still trying to read by candle light. You have shone a spotlight for us.

Vielen dank u. どうも有難う御座いました
    --Guy

?

A very interesting post, Mr. Komiya...

Would be fantastic if you can help us also about the Sacred Treasure...

Thank You

That is easy to do. Here it is. By the way, whatever happened to Mr. Fukuoka? Is he too busy haranguing people about common courtesy at other forums to show some himself here, though he's been back several times already?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Evolution of the Lapel Badges for the Order of the Rising Sun (1875-1945)  

Nick Komiya,

I suppose I was too busy haranguing other people at different forums... Discourtesy is almost never an allowable offense. It is obvious that I have committed the same offense that I harangued others for. Inexcusable.
    So even though it has been almost 4 years since you wrote such a detailed and useful reply, I feel I should give my thanks.

No excuses... Just a few explanations, which, I am aware, border on excuses. Still...
    I rarely use this forum; in fact, I am not really active on any forums. I may have visited here a few times, but for some reason I didn't express my appreciation for your efforts. I cannot remember why. However, it wasn't because I didn't appreciate your generosity.

My apologies.
    From 'Mr. Fukuoka'