Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

evolution of naval dirks ?

Article about: Hello. I would be really interested to understand the evolution of naval dirks' patterns since 1873 until 1945. I'm looking everywhere but it's really hard to find detailed info about this a

?

Default evolution of naval dirks ?

Hello.

I would be really interested to understand the evolution of naval dirks' patterns since 1873 until 1945. I'm looking everywhere but it's really hard to find detailed info about this argument...

Images, different patterns, destinataries, ordinance, links or websites to see .....

Everything will be really welcome.

Thanks to all !

Dan

PS : A fantastic thing could be a new path "evolution of ..." by Nick Komiya, but I can't really hope so much...

I only write in-depth articles on Army subjects, so don't count on me to write that. However, it is pretty easy to write.
    I already showed Geoff how to compile a catalogue of all daggers in post 13 of this thread Another Mysterious Dagger??
    Just additionally cut and paste 海軍 into the filter to limit the listing to navy uniform regulations and all the navy dagger variations would be there.

Dan,

Have you seen Fuller & Gregory's dirk coverage? I don't think it covers quite the spectrum you're asking for, but it's got a couple of stages I think.

?

evolution of naval dirks ?
    Here my dirk collection.
    From left to right, early type to late war

?

@ Nick :

Thanx Nick, I've seen that site... But I don't speak japanese, so I can't do nothing there...

@ Bruce :

Yes, I've found something here and there, but I would find some details more to reconstruct a chronological order of these dirks... At the moment everybody can see an impressive quantity of variants with different patterns, but nobody seems to know "when" or "why" about most of them....

No problem, my research will go on !

@ Gunto :

WOW, nice collection !

Do you know when the IJN switch pattern from 1st to 2nd dirk starting from the left ?

Thanx to all.

?

Try look here......Naval-Dirks

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Try look here......Naval-Dirks
    Yes, a couple of key dates there! 1873, and a mod at 1883. I love the comment about the naval academy cadets' wear of the dirk "charms almost all women's heart" !!!!

I know you cannot read Japanese, but you surely can pick pictures out of the regulations and compile them in chronological order to achieve at least a framework of what you wanted. That is why I gave you all the Japanese search words needed for cut and pasting. Here's an example of what you could have done yourself. I omitted the dirks for bandsmen for simplicity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture evolution of naval dirks ?