Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fake or real Kai Guntō ?

Article about: Hello, im about to buy a gunto for a price, can you guys tell me if it is a real kai gunto or a chinese replica. I don't really know to spot diferences between a real one and a fake one so i

Default Fake or real Kai Guntō ?

Hello, im about to buy a gunto for a price, can you guys tell me if it is a real kai gunto or a chinese replica. I don't really know to spot diferences between a real one and a fake one so i'm asking you here.
    The seller told me he bought it in 2005.
    Thank you ps:it's my first post
    Here are the photos Fake or real Kai Guntō ?
    Fake or real Kai Guntō ?Fake or real Kai Guntō ?Fake or real Kai Guntō ?Fake or real Kai Guntō ?

?

Not a Kaigunto ,but a fake Shingunto.

?

Try learn ,read some books, go to some sword and arms fair.
    Then find out what You want.

I know this one’s odd with the non-copper or brass fittings, but there were some made this way and they look like good quality. I know a guy with one, and I’ll get some pics of his for comparison. Can’t say much about the blade from the pictures. Need better ones as well as nakago (tang) photos.

Ohmura called the “black dyed”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake or real Kai Guntō ?  

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Ohmura called the “black dyed”
    Sure, but not that sword.
    The black is silver and is best quality shingunto fittings. That sword is nothing of that. The lock clip button missing the sakura blossom is a dead give away.

Good catch on the chuso, you’re right. The blade looks chromed or buffed with a car buffer. I’d need to see more of it before buying.

Good catch on the chuso, you’re right. The blade looks chromed or buffed with a car buffer. I’d need to see more of it before buying.
    You need more photos of the blade right ? The seller told me he had never tried to disassemble the sword. I'm asking him more pictures then i comeback to you

Fake or real Kai Guntō ?Fake or real Kai Guntō ?Fake or real Kai Guntō ? This is what he sent me, to be honest it looks really fake, moreover (I think) all gunto from wwII had that "blood-groove" tell me if im wrong tho.

Carli,

Actually just the opposite - the ones with the fuller groove, in officer swords, weren't common....while all NCO swords had them.

I'm starting to feel better about the blade, though we REALLY could use some closeups of the blade tip and that tang. There is a wooden peg in the handle, a couple inches from the handguard. Tapping it out frees the whole handle and guard to come off. One of the best tests of a blade is the tang.

Unless the asking price is low enough, then it might not matter as much. The fittings are worth 400-600 USD probably, so if that's all you're paying, it won't matter if the blade's legit or not. But if he's wanting market rates (1,000 plus or minus) you'll need that handle off, and better pics of the tip. A re-wrap of the handle runs about $200, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast