Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Field Cap and Dog Tag

Article about: I bought this one off eBay and thought I would post it for more information on the cap and some for the dog tag especially the center stamp. I think the cap was issued in 1942 and the dog ta

Default Field Cap and Dog Tag

I bought this one off eBay and thought I would post it for more information on the cap and some for the dog tag especially the center stamp. I think the cap was issued in 1942 and the dog tag was worn as a bracelet because of its very worn look. I don’t know too much about caps and I am still learning about tags. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Field Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog TagField Cap and Dog Tag

Your cap is a size medium made in 1942 out of the Hiroshima depot, sorry I can't help you with the tag but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

The tag is for the mortar company of the 1st battalion, 1st amphibious brigade.

The field cap appears to have a chin strap made of artocarpus tree bark.

The chin strap had me wondering for sure as to what it was made of . I have a bayonet frog that doesn’t quite look like the strap but a pressed canvas with some kind of bonding ingredient. Some of this stuff must have held up better than others. The frog is very hard but the strap is more flexible.
    Now on other tags from this brigade I have seen in the middle column numbers or other markings that are some kind of kanji or abbreviated kanji. Any idea as to what the marking is??

Could be for any of the following component companies, depending on the kanji.

3 infantry companies
    1 artillery company (3 × 75 mm Mountain Guns and 2 × Infantry Guns )
    1 mortar company each (12 × 81 mm mortars)
    1 sapper company
    1 Anti-aircraft company (6 × guns)
    1 Armored company (9 × light tanks)
    1 Engineering company
    1 Communication company
    1 Medical and sanitation company

I have heard that it might have to do with Mortar unit but they weren’t sure because it was a abbreviation that they weren’t familiar with.

I already pointed out yours was for a mortar company

Thank you Nick it’s just really different than what I normally see on tags. I’m used to seeing a number of some sort and not a abbreviation although I do have a armored tag and a engineer tag with abbreviations.

?

Very nice cap! The cap appears unissued/unnamed so tag was likely added by G.I. or ? The two objects likely have no connection

I agree and it could have come from any of the locations the 22nd Marines went. Eniwetok, Guam or Okinawa but there’s a chance that the vet who brought the cap back could have been in the Marines 10th Defense Battalion. All I know is the family is letting go of the vets souvenirs since his passing 15 years ago. The seller said he had other items from the vet on eBay.