Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flag tag and symbol

Article about: Hello all, looking at a flag that has this tag and symbol on it. Do they look period correct or have any meaning? Just asking before I purchase. Thanks for your help.

Default Flag tag and symbol

Hello all, looking at a flag that has this tag and symbol on it. Do they look period correct or have any meaning? Just asking before I purchase. Thanks for your help.Flag tag and symbolFlag tag and symbol

It looks good to me, but Nick is the expert!!

小田原納 Odawara Provisioner
    検印 Inspection seal
    製作[者印] Fabricator/Maker seal

I'm taking a SWAG at 者印

In pencil or light ink:
    igusa/sen. Fight/war. The modern, more simple kanji is:

The flag is surely original. The tag has the seamstress's stamp and further indicates that it was supposed to be delivered to the navy by the city of Odawara.

The other tag with the penciled kanji means this flag was intended as a 戦闘旗 , a battle flag to be raised on the main mast. The rising sun flag served as an ensign (flag flown at the bow to indicate the vessel's nationality in port) as well as a battle flag, when raised on the main mast. So it seems a bit pretentious for the city of Odawara to claim themselves as the supplier of a battle flag. Normally the kanji should have been 軍 instead, an abbreviation of 軍艦旗 (Ensign).

In other words, one of the several ensigns carried on board that happens to get raised on the main mast in combat gets the honor of being called a battle flag.

The acceptance stamp box is blank, meaning that this flag was never actually received by the navy and must have been found at the production facility. More on these flags here.

Fantastic information!!! Thanks for the link to the reading of the symbols. So since this flag was never accepted by the navy, is there still value to the flag? I would guess there isn't many that survived. I will try to get pics as I can. But wondering if the value diminishes without it being accepted.

I don't think that being unissued diminishes its value at all, but these flags are more common than you think, as many were captured at the end of the war by the Americans. See this for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrwhBdtqpI

?

Some good footage in that link Nick. Is that like an antiques roadshow where items are appraised for value, and an offer given to buy?

This flag was bought by the famous actor in the show for US$90,000 as it had clear provenance to be from the Nagato. The actor donated it to the Yamato Museum, where it is on display.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flag tag and symbol  

Flag tag and symbolFlag tag and symbolFlag tag and symbolGot some pics of the whole flag finally. Has clips and all. Measures not quite 12 feet. Feel bad putting it on the floor but don't have space otherwise.

Also love the other examples you have all shown. There is some fantastic history out there. I appreciate all your pics and advice.

?

I think this may be a signal flag, someone here will know for sure?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast