Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grandfathers bring back from WW2?

Article about: Hello all, Yesterday, I received a sword in the mail that I purchased form an auction for \\$100.00. Only two blurry photos of this sword was posted and I took the chance whether it was an ori

Default Grandfathers bring back from WW2?

Hello all,

Yesterday, I received a sword in the mail that I purchased form an auction for $100.00. Only two blurry photos of this sword was posted and I took the chance whether it was an original sword or a Chinese reproduction.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package and saw a nice temper line through all the surface rust and dark spots (Hopefully, nobody here will ruin my day and say it’s a fake!).

Anyways, the glue on the saya finally gave way and it came to me with a twisty around it to hold it together. The Kolguchi is missing and the Kurigata looks like it broke off. Other than that, the saya looks to be in decent condition with a pattern in the wood.

The tsuba appears to be iron with gold inlay and the handle looks to be in decent condition too! I don’t see a makers signature on the tang... however, it could be under all the rust (don’t worry... I’m not doing anything to the tang). I’ve removed most of the rust from the blade with oil and a soft rag but the black spots are there to stay. Sadly, another sword fell victim to no lubricant and a lot of moisture.

The seller informed me that his grandfather brought this sword back from war and it was recently passed down to him after the grandfather recently passed. He didn’t have any other information on the sword or how it was acquired because his grandfather never liked talking about the war. After receiving the sword, the seller took it to a couple antique dealers and was told it’s worthless and could only be sold for scrap metal... he then auctioned it off.

I guess I’ll never understand why a family member wouldn’t want something like this for a keepsake.

Sorry for the long narrative... any POSITIVE feedback would be appreciated! (just kidding)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfathers bring back from WW2?   Grandfathers bring back from WW2?  

Grandfathers bring back from WW2?   Grandfathers bring back from WW2?  

More pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfathers bring back from WW2?   Grandfathers bring back from WW2?  

Grandfathers bring back from WW2?  

Lucky find! I'm glad you saved it from the scrapyard destiny! I'm not a civil sword follower, but it doesn't seem older than the 1800s to me, not enough age to the nakago (tang). But I could be wrong on that.

You can get lots of expert opinions at the Nihonto forum of NMB: Nihonto - Nihonto Message Board

And there are guys that can fill you in on the tsuba here: Tosogu - Nihonto Message Board

Thanks Bruce... I just need to hunt down a couple pieces for the saya.

I was wondering if this could’ve been from the edo period. I hate reposting on different sights... I will see if anybody can add information, if not, I will go there. Not a member on that forum.

Thanks again for your reply!
    D

NICE SAVE !!!

Probably Edo-era tsuba; not sure about the blade, but could be Edo-period; the handle might be a "new" one fitted in the 1920s or 30s -- but I'm just thinking aloud here.

The handle has what are called "Higo" style fuchi (collar) and kashira (pommel cap). Higo Provence is now called Kumamoto on Kyushu island, in the south of Japan.

Grandfathers bring back from WW2?Grandfathers bring back from WW2?

I cannot make out the design of the menuki -- those little fittings beneath the wrapping. Menuki originally were used to form a palm-swell while holding the sword. Later, they became merely decorative as they were placed on the opposite side of the palm (long story).

Anyway, nice save. Do not try to glue the saya together. Rice glue paste is used specifically so the halves can be opened up without damaging the wood. Wood glue will rip the wood if ever you need to open up the scabbard (which honestly doesn't happen much). Yours has split open because the lacquer eventually split.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

P.S. I just read your full post -- should've done that first, but I skipped the "story" and went directly to the "fold out." [Old Playboy Magazine joke] Sorry about my overt descriptions of things -- you seem to know sword parts.

Thanks for the info Guy! I took Bruce’s suggestion and posted on the other site as well (To see if they can date it or add any additional info). It definitely is an interesting sword and glad I lucked out. There almost seems to be a signature on the tang but too much rust to be sure.

Thanks again! And... I did get your joke!

D