Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?

Article about: I've read up to learn, but I cannot tell enough about this sword. I remember it growing up, and then he passed away and I got the sword so I know it's at least as old as I am (34). the entir

Default Re: Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?

The metal pieces on the handle and the matching piece around the top of the handle are definitley not japanese. As i mentioned, someone has had some creative adding to this piece. The metal piece at the top of the scabbard is also a post war addition. If you can drive out the retaining pin and expose the tang, age and possible maker of the blade can be determined. Japanese did not glue handle ornaments as the binding was intended to hold them in place. Regardless, the pieces you have in the handle do not belong there.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The metal pieces on the handle and the matching piece around the top of the handle are definitley not japanese. As i mentioned, someone has had some creative adding to this piece. The metal piece at the top of the scabbard is also a post war addition. If you can drive out the retaining pin and expose the tang, age and possible maker of the blade can be determined. Japanese did not glue handle ornaments as the binding was intended to hold them in place. Regardless, the pieces you have in the handle do not belong there.
    I agree but im afraid if the Tsuka ,handle may collapse while removing in this condiction.

ERIC

?

AC, I would check among your Gramps remaining items and see if the Tsuba, (the handguard), and the end piece for the handle are present, as Bob says the only way to guage the blade is to see whats on the tang, i think there should be only one wooden pin holding the handle on, take a piece of dowling the same size as the peg or slightly smaller and gently tap out the peg, the handle should just pull away, once thats done i think restoring will be made easier, i would also check to see whats on the blade, is it paint, if so then paint remover applied by brush should do the job, dont scrape or use any abrasives, just wipe the brush along the blade until the paint comes off then dry with cloth and wipe it with a light clear oil and again wipe clean

I have yet to see a handle come off with out useing a brass or rubber hammer due to rust adhersion.

?

AC, The handle is made of wood, the pin should be wood, there should be no rust that would affect the removal, but if there is , it still should come off with slight pressure, its a question of taking a chance with these items, if your not happy with doing it, take it to an antique dealer who restores old items .

I couldn't resist but to try just a little .. What it looks like is that the tang doesn't have a reciprocal hole.
    when I tried to pop something out, it seems i'm hitting the sword, plus I can kind of see down in there and it doesn't look or feel like wood.

I may have to stop here cause I couldn't really make it budge with "gentle aggression".. Unless the fact that the pin-hole system being strange says something.

Quote by davejb View Post
    AC, The handle is made of wood, the pin should be wood, there should be no rust that would affect the removal, but if there is , it still should come off with slight pressure, its a question of taking a chance with these items, if your not happy with doing it, take it to an antique dealer who restores old items .

Yes it made out of sandwitched wood I agree but these just dont come off easy. My point with all due respect it is clearly late lastditch with emebllishment and their in most likelihood their wont be any Kanji on it anyway why take a chance? Yes I would like to know whats under it aswell but hate to see something destroyed to do so and not all pins are wood by the way Ill post mine later tomorrow.

ERIC

Your point is well taken.. No offense taken here, I came humbly asking for help and I definitely got some.
    very appreciative, if I solve the story (safely) i'll report back.

appreciate everyone's time and input.. I'm gonna hit the sack, but i'll check my email to see if there was any other feedback.

later,
    AC

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Yes it made out of sandwitched wood I agree but these just dont come off easy. My point with all due respect it is clearly late lastditch with emebllishment and their in most likelihood their wont be any Kanji on it anyway why take a chance? Yes I would like to know whats under it aswell but hate to see something destroyed to do so and not all pins are wood by the way Ill post mine later tomorrow.

ERIC

I would not refer to this sword as a "last ditch." It appears to be a samurai era mounted blade adapted for military use.(which was not uncommon). If it was a late war blade, the first inch above the habaki would be dull and not sharp as you indicated. With no disrespect intended, it is likely that your grandfather took things apart looking for the famous that jewels were hidden in the handle, which of course was inaccurate information. In the end, it is your sword to do with as you see fit. I think that you have received all of the information that can be given about this piece in it's current condition.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2