Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help

Article about: I'm just looking in to historical swords and I stumbled across three interesting weapons in a similar price band. I've done basic research, enough to be a bit concerned about a kai gunto wit

Question Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help

I'm just looking in to historical swords and I stumbled across three interesting weapons in a similar price band. I've done basic research, enough to be a bit concerned about a kai gunto with a single point sling mount instead of the two, especially when they're calling it a shin gunto as well as a kai gunto. WWII Signed Japanese Navy Officer Shin Gunto Sword – Griffin Militaria

They've also got an interesting traditional blade in army mounts that has three holes in the tang but no identifying marks what so ever, and this more traditional set up with a lovely blade and a signature. WWII Signed Showa Period Japanese Samurai Sword – Griffin Militaria

Is Griffin generally reliable? I've never dealt with them before, and while I'm fine with the idea of dropping $1000 and some change on an actual historical piece, I'm worried about getting ripped off. It's not hard to find mix masters and the like on ebay or whatever that look just dandy on first glance. I've read some books, read some websites and I'm just not terribly confident, especially with things that seem to be out of sorts in my preferred realm of interest, kai guntos. The other two manage to tempt with possible traditional blades... and having some potential age on them, while still being in the same price band.

Am I being paranoid? Is there more I can do to narrow these down to feel I'm making a fully informed decision before I have the weapon in hand?

?

You should probably post the pics, when the item is sold or the link expires it makes this potentially informative thread useless.. I have added most of the pics from the first link, Welcome to the forum, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help   Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help  

Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help   Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help  

Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help   Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help  

Griffin militaria and gunto/nihonto(?) help  

?

I think that the Kaigunto in the pictures is one of the extensively discussed "mystery swords", that were decided to be 99% likely made post war as souvenirs for the occupation forces.

Link to conversation. One Of Those "mystery" Swords - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Last edited by DaveR; 08-18-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added link

Dave is correct! I've never heard anything negative about Griffin (his full name eludes me at the moment, and he is an active member at NMB) I'll email him, as I'm shocked he would try selling this as a "Navy Officer shingunto"!!!

I have had a good experiences with Mr Griffin.

That sword is discussed here: NLF Gunto Discussion

In reference to your search for "historical swords" I still value this sword, and bought one, because to me, it's the last war sword ever made by Japan. Yes, made as a souvenir, but made during the occupation years for G.I.s who want to commemorate their participation in the war with a sword. The blades MAY have come from unused stock. But I feel that they were produced by Toyokawa after the war. MacArthur's intent was to rebuild Japan and it's economy. He intentionally kept many factories open that had been making weapons, to employ Japanese citizens and to keep the wheels of commerce moving. The letter from the Toyokawa rep shows their alarm at loosing this contract for 8,000 swords. While their work MAY have simply involved assembling new fittings onto pre-made blades, it would be more consistent with MacArthur's intent if Toyokawa was being paid to actually produce blades and assemble them into souvenirs. But that's just my thoughts.

At any rate, the sword represents this crucial time in Japanese post-war history. So I like having mine! But I only paid $450 USD, not over $1,000 like Griffin is asking. I let him know already. We'll see what he says.

I think that the Kaigunto in the pictures is one of the extensively discussed "mystery swords", that were decided to be 99% likely made post war as souvenirs for the occupation forces.

Link to conversation. One Of Those "mystery" Swords - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    The plot thickens, I haven't heard of the mystery swords before, though post war souvenirs being thrown together to sell to young GIs is hardly surprising.

Dave is correct! I've never heard anything negative about Griffin (his full name eludes me at the moment, and he is an active member at NMB) I'll email him, as I'm shocked he would try selling this as a "Navy Officer shingunto"!!!
    Well I'm generally glad to hear that, but I'm also rather glad I checked. I saw posts various other places referring to Griffin as a reliable source but something about that particular sword was really sticking in my craw. I have a specific interest in Japanese naval history so not just any chunk of sharpened steel really works as I'm sure many people here know.

?

Quote by Krakow1 View Post
    I have had a good experiences with Mr Griffin.
    I agree, Dan is a good guy.

Tom

?

Everyone has "one of those days" where you miss something that would normaly be a no-brainer. So I would not "dis" him for this one passing under rhe radar. As my old Dad used to say, "we all make mistakes, the important thing is what we do when we realise it!"

Dan Griffin is a great guy! Honest dealer. The blade you linked to was forged by Hideoshi, the full signature is Ido Hidetoshi.

-- Guy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast