Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Gunto Tang Translation

Article about: Hello everyone, i need your help in here to translate this marking on this gunto tang please. And how old is this gunto? Also i'm sorry but this is the only photo i've got. Thank you.

Question Gunto Tang Translation

Hello everyone, i need your help in here to translate this marking on this gunto tang please. And how old is this gunto?
    Also i'm sorry but this is the only photo i've got. Thank you.
    Gunto Tang Translation

Hello Timur ...great to see you posting again

One of the Gents here will be along shortly to help you out.
    I hope you and yours is healthy and well and I will message you soon.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

*井兼藤作
    Made by *i Kanefuji

I’m on an iPhone and cannot do deep research. I could find but one Kanefuji and I do not think this is the same smith:
    藤井兼藤
    Fujii Kanefuji

Your smith’s surname is something like 福井 Fukui or 富井 Tomi. Note hoe that first kanji ends sort of like 田.

— Guy

?

Hi Guy, maybe 関住人藤井兼藤作? Carefully read the thread below which has no pictures though.
    Translation help please

From Sesko's list:
    "KANEFUJI (兼藤), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanefuji” (兼藤), real name Fujii Torao (藤井虎夫), born April 17th 1917, he worked as a guntō smith and died Februar 21st 1967, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide), Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)"

So that would make this blade a WWII manufacture.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello Timur ...great to see you posting again

One of the Gents here will be along shortly to help you out.
    I hope you and yours is healthy and well and I will message you soon.

Regards Larry
    Thank you Sir, forgive me i just could return now. So many problem in real life. I hope you and your family are in good health too.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    *井兼藤作
    Made by *i Kanefuji

I’m on an iPhone and cannot do deep research. I could find but one Kanefuji and I do not think this is the same smith:
    藤井兼藤
    Fujii Kanefuji

Your smith’s surname is something like 福井 Fukui or 富井 Tomi. Note hoe that first kanji ends sort of like 田.

— Guy
    Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Hi Guy, maybe 関住人藤井兼藤作? Carefully read the thread below which has no pictures though.
    Translation help please
    Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    From Sesko's list:
    "KANEFUJI (兼藤), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanefuji” (兼藤), real name Fujii Torao (藤井虎夫), born April 17th 1917, he worked as a guntō smith and died Februar 21st 1967, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide), Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)"

So that would make this blade a WWII manufacture.
    Thank you for you help gentlemen! Really appreciate it!
    Is there any way to know the exact age of this blade?

Like I said - WWII. Could be anywhere from, say, 1933 to 1945.

It's hard to see from that photo, but is there a really small stamp near the top, close to the handguard? If so, I could narrow the date down quite a bit.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Translation help please
    THANKS Kiipu!
    Never heard of that rule — it is good having a knowledgeable native-speaker’s input:
    Quote by K Morita
    … It's calligraphy rule.
    It is necessary to write these two characters by a different style,When the same Kanji character is used in the sentences(1st Fuji, 2nd Fuji).…
    Here is the probable kanji 藤 written in a cursive style:Gunto Tang Translation

Note how tht bottom could look similar to the 田??

— Guy