Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Has our hobby entered a golden age....for the seller?

Article about: It seems like sale prices across the spectrum have jumped significantly. From what I have seen, many examples of flags, tags, and rifles have all been sold for much higher than I thought cur

?

Default Has our hobby entered a golden age....for the seller?

It seems like sale prices across the spectrum have jumped significantly. From what I have seen, many examples of flags, tags, and rifles have all been sold for much higher than I thought currently possible. An infantry tag from Saipan recently sold for over $200; flags going for over $250. Any thoughts on this from the community? I would be interested in hearing any and all opinions.

MOD: I think I might have been dinged for this last time due to relevance. I am hoping it can stay here due to the concentration of Japanese militaria collectors that visit this specific board. Otherwise, it gets diluted in other areas of the forum and there is no guarantee participation would happen since many Japanese militaria collectors here might not visit those other sub boards. I know I tend to come here and that is about it.

Tom

?

I too have had a few raised eyebrow moments, for instance, a buckle normally going for $XX is now $ XXX, pretty staggering sometimes to see prices as high as they have been lately.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

I think it ebbs and flows. For a while, it seemed like the tide was on its way out and prices dropping. I think there is a resurgence of sorts due to recent period themed movies, mini series, and video games, bringing in more interest from younger enthusiasts. Add to that whatever the world and local economies are doing over a particular time period, the tide is either on its way in, or on its way out.
    Regards,
    John

Tom,

I think it has to do with a few factors:

1. The COVID pandemic kept many people locked in-doors for a period of time and with nothing to do but surf the internet and other things, I believe many took up new hobbies and started buying what was seen. This buying frenzy sparked higher than normal prices (in some cases greed) to get as much money as possible, as for some, buying and selling on auction sites and other places was the only income coming into a household since many lost their jobs or were put on furlough without pay for extended periods of time...

2. It is the basic SUPPLY and DEMAND scenario.. Most of these relics are now approaching the century mark and as they start resurfacing from Veteran's collections from family members who have no interest in such items they want the most for their money. The internet has all the answers they need (albeit most is not factual and in many cases inaccurate) but they will seek prices of similar items that sold in the past and base prices off what they think is Fair market value and then for whatever reason they may increase the price to see who is really willing to pay for the items..

I can't speak for all collectors but many that I know (myself included) will wait and spend my money on items with provenance and attribution.. It is more time consuming and in the long run may cost more but I would rather wait for a provenanced Purple Heart Medal for example instead of just an example of the prestigious decoration.

I waited for years to finally find a named Purple Heart Medal that was awarded to a Sailor who was wounded at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. This Sailor was on the USS Pennsylvania and there was a significant amount of documentation so I purchased it, and just recently (actually during COVID) I was able to purchase a named Purple Heart to a US Marine who was killed in action on Iwo Jima. So I prefer items that have a significant story so that I may be able to continue telling those stories since the veteran's are no longer alive and unfortunately some family members only see the money they can profit from rather than their relatives sacrifices.

So in short, I can understand the increase in prices with some items but on the same hand I too scratch my head at some of the prices of some common pieces but I have always said that Knowledge is Power and research and knowing what you are collecting go hand in hand with that knowledge in order to make informed decisions and know what to spend and when not to invest a fortune in something worth only a few dollars..

Research, reference books, and knowledge...

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Quote by tomp View Post
    MOD: I think I might have been dinged for this last time due to relevance. I am hoping it can stay here due to the concentration of Japanese militaria collectors that visit this specific board. Otherwise, it gets diluted in other areas of the forum and there is no guarantee participation would happen since many Japanese militaria collectors here might not visit those other sub boards. I know I tend to come here and that is about it.

Tom
    Hello Tom,
    Not sure what you are referring to here but, these threads are still in this section.

The state of our hobby in late 2020
    The state of our hobby

I can't find any others concerning this issue.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

We're seeing a massive influx of collectors either totally new to the hobby or from other areas like the German side that have jumped ship. To many of us we'll kind of scratch our heads at current prices but many of the newcomers are willing to overpay for common items as prices continue to surge. Call me cynical but I don't see much benefit to the large increase of newcomers in this hobby. The same myths get repeated, obvious fakes are sold even easier, and I still see practically no new works written that will spread knowledge throughout the community. These days a lot of books, documents, photos etc that are necessary to my research get scooped up by collectors with no real clue of what they're buying. I just wish people would start with learning and then begin buying. I think having an objective with collecting is a good idea too. Rather than trying to have a little bit of everything one can focus on a specific area and really works towards something great.

Tom, I have also noticed larger than normal increases. From my experience there are more younger people collecting than I have seen before. I thought it was the stimulus payments that the US received that caused some of it. The high quality stuff has really jumped but there is less and less every year. The less quality items have gone up but not near as much. The younger folks that are new to collecting with have some regrets if they do not start learning the hobby instead of taking taking the reading of the description as fact. There are many fakes out there. I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the younger collectors willingness to learn though. I sold a very nice Japanese type 38 with mum for $575 and that is not a price gouge now days for an honest rifle. He chatted for a while, several times, to learn and came back 4 or 5 times. He finally told me that it was the nicest rifle he could find for sale and the price was fair. It was nice to see he heeded some advice and bought the best condition item he could afford or wait a bit to buy one in good condition.
    GunBroker has gone bonkers and I no longer trust the sold prices. Too many shill bidders and people buying back there own items and then relisting them. I sell my extra items on my own website at reasonable prices. Since COVID came to the world all people could do is shop online. Finding deals at local shows was or military fairs has been out for over a year.
    All this is just my opinion though.
    John

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Tom,
    Not sure what you are referring to here but, these threads are still in this section.

The state of our hobby in late 2020
    The state of our hobby

I can't find any others concerning this issue.
    Ralph.
    Thanks for bringing those to my attention, Ralph, it is much appreciated. I suppose I could have bumped one to the top again.

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    Thanks for bringing those to my attention, Ralph, it is much appreciated. I suppose I could have bumped one to the top again.

Tom
    I have no problem with that, I just did not understand what you meant by this part of your post.
    Ralph.

Quote by tomp View Post

Tom
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

PM sent

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast