Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Havelock neck flap field caps why so rare?

Article about: Why are havelock neck flaps so hard to come by that were used during the Japanese in World War 2? Did they wear out fast, were they seldom used? Were they removed and used after the war with

Default Havelock neck flap field caps why so rare?

Why are havelock neck flaps so hard to come by that were used during the Japanese in World War 2? Did they wear out fast, were they seldom used? Were they removed and used after the war without them as regular hats? In popular culture and movies the Japanese neck flap havelock hat is always there but you seldom see original examples for sale why is that?

i looked at that forum thread. It discusses history and standards of construction. It doesent say why so few exist today that I can see. So what happened to the havelock neck flaps? Did they wear out get thrown away or were they seldom actually used?

think this was for this thread
    Nick komiya said
    Regarding the rarity of the havelock in the collector market, I have no wish to join in any speculation not backed up by documentary proof. Though it took me 10 years to solve a similar mystery about small size army helmets, I'm sure the truth will reveal itself in due course without us making up stories. Those who feel obliged to reach a collector's consensus on why, please go ahead without me.

So they are rare and no one knows why or how many are still out there.

nick just posted this
    For the reference of those who wish to speculate upon the fate that befell the neck flaps, I will list the last 7 shipments to field units that remain on record.

1. 4th April 1941: 100,000 pcs shipped to the Kwantung Army in Manchuria

2. 20th March 1942: 1,158 pcs shipped to the 53rd Division

3. 11th April 1942 : 65,000 pcs to Korea

4. 5th June 1942: 69,000 pcs to Southern China

5. 11th July 1942:5,000 pcs to Ship freight HQ

6. 24th Nov. 1942:220,000 pcs to the 53rd Field Freight Depot, Singapore

7. 7th Dec. 1942:10,000 pcs to the 26th Field Freight Depot, 8th Area Army

There are no further shipments recorded till the end of the war.

I'll speculate! .... it was putrid conditions endured by ALL sides in the south east Asian theatre and cloth would stink and rot easily ...... our boys ripped the leather sweat bands out of their slouch hats because it became rank ( true fact, same happened in 'nam )

for those issued but not used, nice clean strips of cloth would be a valuable commodity post war ( patches, cleaning cloths etc... )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

This belongs to another collector and was posted a long time ago on another forum. I cannot remember who it was but I'm sure someone will know. It sort of reminds me of what Danmark said above!

That's like the soldier who never knew the war was over!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Yes, in fact the owner called him "Yoshi, my holdout buddy!"