Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Havelock. Original?

Article about: Hey everyone, I'm looking for opinions on this havelock. I read Nick Komiyas write up on these, and based on his research, I believe this one to be legitimate. However, there has been some s

Default Havelock. Original?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for opinions on this havelock. I read Nick Komiyas write up on these, and based on his research, I believe this one to be legitimate. However, there has been some scrutiny over on a Facebook collectors page. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if this is a good repro, or a legitimate piece. Thanks!

Havelock. Original?Havelock. Original?Havelock. Original?Havelock. Original?Havelock. Original?

Cool

I haven't read Nicks information yet but I like steel fingers of this construction and shape, sewn this way and blued. I like the the material texture, weight and color. I like the overall sewing and the reinforcements where they should be. I can't translate the markings.

The condition is probably what throws most people because it would have to be a warehouse/depot find or a postwar cache (ie Warren Sessler era) or.... a total modern repro. If i were playing the big Game in poker I'd push all my chips forward, say "call" and be all in.

So Nick - what ya think about this one?

I believe this did come from Warren Sessler.

1 and 3 are fake. Can't see the hardware on 2 clearly, so undecided for that one.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...All the pictures are of one havelock. This one seems to look identical to the one in your brothers collection that you used in your write up. Could the hardware be fake?

If it's the same havelock, it has a mixed bag of unmatched hardware. None of the hardware is as per army specs, sorry.

Maybe it's the photos. They all seem to be the same when I'm looking at them. I'll get some better photos tomorrow.

"This one seems to look identical to the one in your brothers collection that you used in your write up. " (post #28)

I agree it sure looks like the spitting image in the hardware where the corner ink marking is.

The photo of the example from my brother is unfortunately not ideal in showing how the hook is given a raised 3D profile by the press machine with clear edges like the diagram and upper photo below. In comparison, the two below are what was shown me this time.

Your example is marked as made in 1944. At that time, they were using thin 0.3mm steel sheets to punch out these hooks, so the surrounding ridge should have come out quite sharply like the example below.

If yours also has this raised feature on all hooks that is fine. I just didn't see that decisive feature in your photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Havelock. Original?  

Sewn on back-to-front?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast