Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword

Article about: Hello I picked up this ww2 Japan sword, I took apart it looked like, I was the first to take it apart pushing out the wooden pin. I took photos of the writing but I have no idea of what it s

?

Default Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword

Hello
    I picked up this ww2 Japan sword, I took apart it looked like, I was the first to take it apart pushing out the wooden pin. I took photos of the writing but I have no idea of what it says. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this sword?

Thanks Curt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword   Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword  

Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword   Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword  

Hello I picked up this WW2 Japan sword  

Hi Cat...I will move this to the Axis Military forum for a better response for the Japanese sword collectors..they will be able to help you there much better as this forum is strictly Third Reich Edged Weapons. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The pictures are not sharp so it is difficult to confirm my thoughts. I would like to see a complete shot of the sword tang taken in a vertical position with the top being towards the tip of the sword. From what I see, I believe this to be one of the fakes made in China. The tang inscription should be located below the hole not above. Also, the writing does not appear to be a sword maker's signature.
    What am I doing on line on the Forum on Christmas Day?!!!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default Just looking at the koshirae [furnishings] ...

My first impression: I do not like the handle -- it is too fat and "out of balance" with the rest of the sword, and it does not follow the curvature of the sword. I don't know how to express that ... Bob and Stu probably understand what I'm saying.

Compare to this gunto [large image]
    source
    Note how the handle follows the full curvature of the overall sword? Your handle seems not to follow the curve.

--Guy

Guy-
    I think out of balance is an excellent description. As a practicioner of the art of drawing the sword, you understand the importance of balance in the movements of iato. The context of this piece certainly does not exhibit anything that would inhibit smooth, graceful moves. It appears to be very clumsy.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hello Curt,

Unfortunately there are red flags, so to speak, that lead me to believe you have yourself a reproduction piece fashioned after a Type 98 IJA Officer sword.

If you can provide the photos requested by Bob we can proceed with further analysis.

Regards,
    Stu

?

China fake.

?

The first thing to strike me is the false patina that looks to have been applied . Look at the same / rayskin under the wrap on the tsuka and also on and around the habaki /blade area , what is going on there ! This then sets the tone when you start to look at the finer details , the scabbard doesn't match said patina and looks to be repainted . Then we come to the nitty gritty , the fittings and of course the blade itself and the signature ! Better images and close ups are reqd. as the ones posted are very blurred and an opinion cannot be given based on these images ! The fittings look very " similar " in details from what i can make out , but very soft in detail ! Can you show close ups of these fittings and of the tsuba/handguard please ? It is impossible to comment on the blade from these images but from the scanned images of the tang they seem to show very new red rust and a newly drilled mekugi ana ( peg hole in the tang ) !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Will do I am on vacation now will post better pics when I return.

Thanks

?

Why need more photos , when its 100 % fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast