Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein

Article about: I finally received a comment from the Japanese Vexillogical Association post: Kazutaka Nishiura: IJN flags were adopted by the Imperial ordinance of naval flags (海軍Ą

?

Default Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein

Hello Everyone,

I bought this flag from a friend of mine who's father got it when he was in the Army stationed in the Marshall Islands during the Battle of Kwajalein. It measures about 6'x7'(182cmx213cm). Machine sewn cotton. I have been trying to buy this flag from him for several years since he first showed it to me in 2007 and finally got it today. I have his letters written home from 1941-1945. Several letters are from Kwajalein during the entire year of 1944. There are many photos enclosed with the letters and I have a few photos of him standing with this same flag wearing a Japanese uniform. Some of the photos are very interesting, some show a group of all Black Airmen frolicing some native girls. I have tried to research this flag but could not find any like it. I am an antiques dealer and don't buy military items that much, any help would be appreciated.

I would like to find out what it was for exactly, maybe a Navy Base or Ship?
    Also, the value if possible. Thank you. Kozjan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein   Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein  

Last edited by Kozjan; 08-29-2013 at 12:10 AM.

"Navy"

海軍

Written in the old fashion from right to left: 軍海

--Guy

If we can't find out what this flag is, I'll send an email to the Japanese Vexillological Association -- I found whom to contact.

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy. I added one of the photos I mentioned. Kozjan

Hi Kozjan,

It's a pretty fair size, isn't it? I couldn't stand the suspense so posted my question on the JVA's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/j.vexillology [see "Recent Posts by Others" and look for my name, Guy Power.]

And please, don't anybody laugh at my Japanese grammar!!!!

--Guy

This is a puzzler. I did about a half hour of searching. The closest thing I could find are Naval code flags. Perhaps it was a flag that was not in maritime use - rather something to identify a building or depot on land as has been suggested. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    This is a puzzler. I did about a half hour of searching. The closest thing I could find are Naval code flags. Perhaps it was a flag that was not in maritime use - rather something to identify a building or depot on land as has been suggested. NH
    Servus Neil .... [unser Spieß und "Mutti der Kompanie"]!

I did the same thing -- then went through all the flags on Flags of the World [Japan section]. Couldn't find anything similar.

--Guy

?

Yes it is a puzzler. I spent many hours over the past few years trying to find
    one like it. I kept a photo of it when my buddy first showed it to me in 07'. I
    saw the Naval code flags too that you mentioned.

Great flag ! - Sorry, I cannot help with a valuation. The photo appears
    to be cut from a contact sheet, but is clear enough to show that
    this is the same flag.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Response from the Japanese Vexillological Association:

見たことが無い旗です。調査してみます。

"It is a flag I've never seen before; am researching/investigating it."

--Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast