Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thin

Default Help identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmet

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thing).

I bought this helmet in about 2012 at an antique dealer in Tasmania, Australia. I have looked online and I think it's a civil defense helmet rather than an actual combat helmet. The liner is in amazing condition or, much more likely, it is a replacement. Same with the chin strap. There is a piece of paper inside, I'm guessing stating the manufacturer or arms depot. There is some Kanji written in white on the inside, but I do not know what it means in Japanese.

I'd like confirmation or correction from you as this was not a hobby I went into fully as many of you have. All the photos are up the right way on my laptop, but come out rotated on here.

All help is appreciated as I am looking to sell this soon if it's going to be worthwhile. Any thoughts on what it's worth?

Help identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmetHelp identifying a Japanese WW2 era helmet

You are correct it's a civil defense helmet in very nice shape,I can't help you with the Kanji because my Japanese has its limits. Maybe Guy or one of our other Japanese speakers can help you.
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

Yes nice common civilian defense helmet missing it’s chinstraps

手崎 Tezaki
    武田 Takeda
    • both are surnames/placenames

みのり Minori; in hiragana [could be either a surname or given name; would have to see the kanji before determining]

專賣局 Monopoly Bureau
    Modern Japanese:

Wiki translation of Japanese wiki page:
    Monopoly Bureau - Wikipedia

-- Guy

Thanks, Shemp, my Japanese has its limits, too; I can only introduce myself and order food. My Mandarin Chinese is good though.

- - ------- - -

Guy, you're a champion. Many thanks.

?

手崎 TASAKI
    This is the place name of Imizu City, Toyama Prefecture.
    It's a seaside town.

武田 Takeda
    Last name.

みのり Minori
    Tobacco product name

専売局
    Monopoly station
    old typeface
    An organization that has engaged in a monopoly business such as tobacco for the purpose of generating revenue for the country.

The paper is cigarette wrappers from those days.