Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Japanese translation on canteen (if possible)

Article about: I very recently bought a Japanese canteen with some writing on the sling, so I was hoping that someone here who can read Japanese could possibly tell me what it says. I don't want to waste a

?

Default Help with Japanese translation on canteen (if possible)

I very recently bought a Japanese canteen with some writing on the sling, so I was hoping that someone here who can read Japanese could possibly tell me what it says.

I don't want to waste anyone's time so, if the pictures aren't good enough, please let me know. I'm grateful for any and all responses!

Help with Japanese translation on canteen (if possible)

We'll need Nick's help here. This is what I could suss out; I'm uncertain of the magenta kanji:
    西貢日本憲
    荒田*

Saigon Japanese Military Police
    Arata *zo

The owner's surname was 荒田 Arata.

Edit: 西貢 is "ateji" read as Sai Gon; ateji are kanji that are applied for their sounds only, not for meaning. Initially I wrote "West Saigon" but corrected my error.
    Last edited by ghp95134; 04-22-2020 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Deleted "West Saigon" to "Saigon"

西貢日本憲兵隊
    荒田誠三
    Seizo Arata
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Japanese translation on canteen (if possible)  

?

Thank you very much for the reply, this is very interesting!

?

Nick, Im very glad you were able to read it, I was worried they were too faded! I also apologize for not seeing your responses earlier!