Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Mei and Tensho Script

Article about: Dan has this Meiji era blade with some Tensho script at the top. Could I get a translation of both the mei and the script, please? Found here: Bruce Pennington Stamp Alert! - Military Swords

Default Help with Mei and Tensho Script

Dan has this Meiji era blade with some Tensho script at the top. Could I get a translation of both the mei and the script, please?

Found here: Bruce Pennington Stamp Alert! - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Mei and Tensho Script  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with Mei and Tensho Script 

?

The middle two characters are 小銃 [rifle]. This was a prefix used by 村田経芳 Tsuneyoshi Murata. Murata signed as 小銃兼正 from 1889 to 1892; but, this blade predates this as it is dated 正明治廿一年八月 [1888-08]. So at the moment, it is a bit of a mystery. Possibly Nick, bangbangsan, or Guy can fill in some of the kanji character blanks.
    Murata Swords 村田刀

Nah, Kiipu -- I'm stumped as well. All I could find is:
    小銃 *定
    Shōjū *sada.
    Like Kiipu, I cannot find anything about him.

I'm stumped on the tensho as well. The top kanji begins with a 木 "tree" radical. It sort of looks like 椎 [beech tree of genus Castanopsis] in tensho:
    Help with Mei and Tensho Script

The bottom kanji comprises 艸 "grass" and 方 "direction" on the left side; can't make out the right side.

-- Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with Mei and Tensho Script  Help with Mei and Tensho Script 

Deleted; I repeated what Kiipu wrote about the Murata-to.

Here's the word from NMB SteveM:

" The first two are 小銃囗囗. If this were a Murata sword, the last two characters should be 兼正 (Kanemasa).

Obviously the ones on this sword are different. Possibly 元定 (Motosada). But as far as I know he only used Kanemasa with the surname Shōjū. The stamps say Murata Tsuneyoshi in stylized tenshō script. "

So I wonder why the stamps would be for Tsuneyoshi, but the smith name is something else?

?

Same sword, just a different NMB thread with additional pictures.
    Meiji date help

It looks to me like 小銃経芳 with the last 2 characters simplified like they did on navy ID numbers. Those two are anyway not proper kanji. As to the Tensho stamp, we need a properly focused picture that show the strokes. There's no way that it can be saying Murata Tsuneyoshi, as you need 4 characters for that instead of 2.

I tried to enhance as much as possible. The original poster isn't the owner. But I'll see if he can request a better picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with Mei and Tensho Script 

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    It looks to me like 小銃経芳 with the last 2 characters simplified like they did on navy ID numbers....
    I just can't see that, Nick. That last kanji is definitely 定 sada:
    小銃囗定

Compare "our" 定 with Kanesada's 定:

-- Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Mei and Tensho Script   Help with Mei and Tensho Script  

I've never had the patience to guess what Picasso was trying to paint, so I'll defer to Guy on this matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast