Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Mei wanted.

Article about: Hello, can somebody help me with ths Mei?? Factory made sword??

?

Default Help Mei wanted.

Hello, can somebody help me with ths Mei??
    Factory made sword??
    Help Mei wanted.
    Help Mei wanted.
    Help Mei wanted.

武山 義臣
    Takeyama Yoshiomi

He is listed here as a lower-level smith. Actually, 下作 [ge-saku] translates as

下作 【げさく ge-saku; したさく shita-saku】 (adj-na,n) poor manufacture; poor quality; inferior goods

Don't let Yoshiomi's ranking deter you; it might be nice and combat effective ... but the swordsmith's placement is in comparrison to other smiths of the period. Perhaps a comparison today would be between a Uberti copy of a Colt's Single Action Army compared against a Colt's manufactured pistol with factory engraving. Both will kill ... but one is better made. [See my artificial example below -- Top Colt; Middle: George Patton's Colt; bottom Uberti copy.]

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Mei wanted.   Help Mei wanted.  

Attached Images Attached Images Help Mei wanted. 

I can't make out the mark at the top, near the tsuba. Is that a factory or inspection mark, or is it part of the smith's signature?

Marivo,
    You may already know this, but the rank tassel is the late-war version for all officer ranks.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    I can't make out the mark at the top, near the tsuba. Is that a factory or inspection mark, or is it part of the smith's signature?
    Bruce, I've enhanced the image but can't tell. We'll need a better, clearer photo of that area before I can say; though, it does look like it might be a Seki stamp ... squarish.

--Guy

In the future when posting a nakago for translation, please read this first: When Posting Japanese Sword Tangs For Translation
    As also stated, clearer pictures are required. It appears to be a factory made sword from the war period.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks, asking price of this one is 850 euro.
    Same seller other sword, no arsenal stamp.

Help Mei wanted.

Quote by marivo View Post
    Thanks, asking price of this one is 850 euro.
    Same seller other sword, no arsenal stamp.
    長村清宜
    Nagamura Kiyonobu/Kiyonori [some discussion as to how his artisan name is pronounced]

Civilian name:
    長村 松市
    Nagamura Sho'ichi [could be Matsu'ichi]

Another of his shown here for $1,500:
    "...swordsmith Kiyonobu. He is featured in Sloughs "Modern Japanese Swordsmiths 1865-1945" on page 85 and in the Nihonto Meikan as NMK218. ..."

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Mei wanted.  

The second hole in the second sword's nakago is considered a detriment to it's collector value as it is a modern blade. I have seen this sword before on the net but do not recall where.
    BOB

?

So this is a Gendaito??

Quote by marivo View Post
    So this is a Gendaito??
    Impossible to tell just from a picture of the nakago. It would be like showing a picture of an automobile tire and wanting to know if it is a Ferrari or a Yugo.
    BOB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast