Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a mystery flag

Article about: Hello Everyone, A friend of mine brought me a group of items and this flag was with it. At first I thought it was Navy, but after examining it more closely, I believe it may be an Army flag.

?

Default Help with a mystery flag

Hello Everyone,
    A friend of mine brought me a group of items and this flag was with it. At first I thought it was Navy, but after examining it more closely, I believe it may be an Army flag. It’s purpose is a mystery to me though. Here are some photos of the flag and the markings on it. I apologize if the orientation of the characters is off. I look forward to hearing from more knowledgeable members of the forum, and thank you in advance for the any help.
    Thanks
    Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with a mystery flag   Help with a mystery flag  

Help with a mystery flag  

Sea lane pilot's flag. The character in the circle simply says "Sa".
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with a mystery flag  Help with a mystery flag 

?

Nick, Thank you very much for your help. I very much appreciate the information. Do you know if this was used by the Japanese military or just for commercial vessels?

It's a flag used by harbour pilots universally, even today, and also within the WW2 Japanese navy. As a signal flag, it stands for "H". No way to tell whether it's current or from wartime.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with a mystery flag  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with a mystery flag 

?

Nick, thank you very much. I appreciate the help. This flag along with some other item was brought back as a souvenir by a American serviceman that eventually served on occupation duty. I would assume he grabbed everything and everything that looked military as a souvenir like many Americans did.

The snowman within a circle as well as the Kanji, 名 signify the Nagoya Arsenal for the Army, so the flag could have served on an army pilot boat guiding army munitions freighters at the Nagoya port. If the GI served in the Nagoya area, the above scenario would gain plausibility.

?

I will try to research the veteran a little deeper to see if there is a connection. Thank you again for you help and knowledge.