Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with Shin Gunto

Article about: I am wonderining if I can get some help with the Shin Gunto. I am very new with WW2 Japanese Shin Guntos, but I believe it is a Type 98 Officers Sin Gunto. I also apologize for my lack termi

?

Default Help with Shin Gunto

I am wonderining if I can get some help with the Shin Gunto. I am very new with WW2 Japanese Shin Guntos, but I believe it is a Type 98 Officers Sin Gunto. I also apologize for my lack terminology of the parts of the sword.
    I got this today from the family of a US Army soldier that got this after an unknown battle in the Pacific.
    The parts are a little loose and needs tightening.
    I am also afraid to take off the handle to look for any inscriptions, because I have never done this before.
    Anyway, if you can, please let me know your thoughts. Officer? NCO? Private purchase, a family owned piece? How old?
    Also on the Saya is some sort of seal. It looks like a manufacturer stamp or maybe a family crest? It seems like Foil , paint, gold leaf?
    Also one of my mail question, Also, if you notice, it appears that there was never a catch/ lock on the Kantana and the scabbard has no signs for a catch/lock.
    Is this quite common, rare , missing parts, or some other reason? Maybe short on late war parts?
    I have read somewhere that some officers did not have catch/ locks on older fitted blades that fit securely in the scabbard. And also some did not like the catch/ lock, for it is easier and faster to draw the sword quickly without it.
    If you can give me any information, and your thoughts, I would be truly grateful.

Help with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin Gunto
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Shin Gunto   Help with Shin Gunto  

Yup, gen-you-wine Type-98 officer's sword. I'll let Bruce and the others tell you more -- I'm not a collector and don't have any data immediately on hand. The seal is the vendor's shop seal.

-- Guy

?

Thanks Guy.

You can read about these here: Seki Inspection Tag On Combat Saya. - Page 2 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

It's an "inspection passed" label from The Seki Cutlery Manufacturer's Society, Seki Gifuken, Japan.

Seem to be found on later-war gunto, like yours, with the black-painted wooden saya, leather covered. Yours has a nice "rain-pattern" habaki, so the owner spent a little more money than the minimum.

Please do yourself, and us a favor, by taking the handle off. The wooden peg by your hand can simply be tapped out from the other side. If there is rust or corrosion on the metal parts, internally, they may resist sliding off, but the only thing holding the handle and hand guard and spacers is that little peg. Your blade will likely have a swordsmith name, maybe even a date enscribed on the tang. We'd love to see!

?

Bruce! Thank you for your thoughts and information. I think I will venture. And try to remove the handle.
    That sounds very interesting about the “inspection passed” sticker. And the , most likely leather case on the Saya.
    In your opinion, do you think that a Leather Saya cover, most likely has a “Snap” to keep the sword secured in the Saya?

?

When I remove the handle, I will sure to take some photos and post them.
    Suggestions on How can I tighten up the parts around the Tsuba when I put it back together?

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    When I remove the handle, I will sure to take some photos and post them.
    Suggestions on How can I tighten up the parts around the Tsuba when I put it back together?
    I have used an extra seppa to snug up loose fittings. I have also read that guys have cut out a thin piece of leather in shape of a seppa.

?

Thanks Bruce.

?

As I promised, I removed the handle and I can use a little help with the inscriptions. Thanks.

Help with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin GuntoHelp with Shin Gunto

The date-side is "1944", but someone else will have to help with the smith.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast