Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please

Article about: Hi there all - I am new to this and need some help clarifying a recent (spontaneous) purchase. I sense I paid too much but that's besides the point. It would be greatly appreciated if I coul

Default Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please

Attached Images Attached Images Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please 
    Last edited by Wrldtrvler0203; 04-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Welcome to the forum!
    The blade appears considerably shorter than the scabbard to me, could be the cause of the looseness.
    You might be asked for some larger, and better photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

thanks. The blade is a couple inches shorter than the scabbard. Not sure if that's normal or non-standard. Outside that, can you share any other thoughts on the item?

Quote by Wrldtrvler0203 View Post
    thanks. The blade is a couple inches shorter than the scabbard. Not sure if that's normal or non-standard. Outside that, can you share any other thoughts on the item?
    Your photos don't show much detail and can't be enlarged so, I'm afraid I will keep my opinions to myself for now.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Does this help by chance?

any particular area I should focus on? appreciate the help

still trying to figure our the ins and outs of the site. trying to post so you can zoom.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please   Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  

Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please  Help with Shin Gunto Showato - please 

?

I wouldn't be too focused on the blade length, they come in all sizes in the standard scabbard. I would focus on if the hamon extends to the point, and runs round the edge to the back of the blade.

I see. I will take a couple pics tonight, but without seeing that, does the text below imply anything?

"One look at the overall blade geometry and, in particular, the geometry at the kissaki and the contour of the temper line in that area indicates that this blade was forged in this configuration. In other words, the temper line follows the contour of the kissaki and the spine of the blade narrows slightly and then widens just short of the tip..."

Wrld,

His item description looks pretty honest with the exception that I wouldn’t call it extremely rare. They are certainly uncommon, but I’ve seen a couple. The Seki stamp denotes that the blade is not traditionally made, even if water quenched (which simply could mean non-tamahagane steel was used, or a hydraulic hammer was used).

?

Many Japanese were short. Period. That's a fanciful explanation why scabbard is missing its hanger band! Buy the item not the story.

?

I had a quick look at the original listing, and it all looks legit, apart from the claims about its possible user. I have seen a few of these Showa wakizashi, and a couple of them carried by quite high ranking officers. I wonder if this is due to a preference for a shorter blade, or a matter of availability. By UK standards you got it at a decent price and did not overpay, so I would enjoy your new sword with a light heart, and get a haikan for it from Ebay.

Looking at the "Rain Pattern" on the habaki, which is unusual for a Gunto, I think this was originally in traditional style "Buke Zukuri" mounts, and put into Gunto mounts when the owner went to war.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast