Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Surrender Tag

Article about: I recently picked up a sword from a friend of mine which had a surrender tag attached I was hoping to get some help with the translation any help appreciated! Regards,Geoff

Default Help with Surrender Tag

I recently picked up a sword from a friend of mine which had a surrender tag attached I was hoping to get some help with the translation any help appreciated! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Surrender Tag   Help with Surrender Tag  

馬場正巳
    Baba Masami
    [Baba is the surname]

三中隊三
    3rd Company, 3....

--Guy

Thank you Guy, I thought it was a bit strange that the part of the tag with the 三中隊三 has no other characters?? would this be a way of attempting to keep information away from U.S. intelligence ?? The tag is not missing a piece so it appears there were never any other characters written after the second 三 ?? Thanks,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Thank you Guy, I thought it was a bit strange that the part of the tag with the 三中隊三 has no other characters?? would this be a way of attempting to keep information away from U.S. intelligence ?? The tag is not missing a piece so it appears there were never any other characters written after the second 三 ?? Thanks,Geoff
    Geoff,

My only guess is that he ran out of space -- what logically would follow after company is "platoon"; my guess is that it should have been:

三小隊
    San Shōtai
    3d Platoon

--Guy

That would make perfect sense. What I thought might have been information that may have been omitted, may have been left off because it was assumed that the 小隊 Shotai (Platoon) would have been a logical assumption??? and not therefore necessary, as there is a good three or four inches of material on the tag below the bottom 三 which would have been plenty of room to add additional information. Just thinking out loud..

Geoff and Guy-
    I recently spoke to a friend who was shown a sword that appeared to have a wood and a cloth surrender tag. Would it have been common/normal to have 2 tags on 1 sword? If seen, was it simply for security in case one was lost?

MichaelB

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Geoff and Guy-
    I recently spoke to a friend who was shown a sword that appeared to have a wood and a cloth surrender tag. Would it have been common/normal to have 2 tags on 1 sword? If seen, was it simply for security in case one was lost?

MichaelB
    That is not something I have encountered in the past. Possibly, the wood tag was a form of formal identification added at the time the sword was surrendered. It is so unusual that I doubt any reply will be nothing more than conjecture.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob. I was told that the information on the tags appeared to be nearly the same, so wondered the logic. Thank you again for the quick feedback.

MichaelB

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Thanks Bob. I was told that the information on the tags appeared to be nearly the same, so wondered the logic. Thank you again for the quick feedback.

MichaelB
    Get an image from your friend and post it -- let's see what they both say! (^__^)

--Guy

Guy-
    The sword was presented at a local show last week where the owner was looking for feedback. Sorry, no images......

MichaelB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast