Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help with translation of Wood tag attached to WWII IJN Admirals Flag

Article about: Get a nice display sized (~3' x 5') WWII Admirals hand sewn flag that came with a tag attached. Could someone help by doing a translation of this tag for me? The flag is wool and has mothing

Default Help with translation of Wood tag attached to WWII IJN Admirals Flag

Just got a nice display sized (~3' x 5') WWII Admirals, hand sewn, flag that came with a tag attached.

Could someone help by doing a translation of this tag for me?

The flag is wool and has mothing but the price was very good and the attached wood block intrigued me.

Thank you for your help

MAP
    ?

I know Guy or Nick will correct me or tease me for my amateurish attempt.... but using Google Lens, it translates to something like "General Brigade"

Of course it's not correct but does seem to be similar in concept to Admiral.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

No teasing — you are 2/3rds correct:
    大将旗
    Taisho Hata
    Admiral Flag

— Guy

Because navy general officer flags all looked the same when folded up and placed on a shelf, tags were a must not to hoist the wrong one. The tag is read Taisho-Ki, not Taisho Hata.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with translation of Wood tag attached to WWII IJN Admirals Flag  

Nick, A Hatamoto would hate to be called Ki-moto.

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the robust round of teasing that went into getting this translation!

I have had many flags over the years but none with an ID tag attached - very fun to find one. Nicks explanation of the use for these makes even more sense given the number of various flags a ship would have to have in "onboard inventory" to cover all the possible command scenarios and flag protocols. Even down to the motor boat launches.

Speaking of launches - Nick do you think a flag this size could/would have likely been used on something like this when it carried ships officers in a water taxi/shuttle role? Still looking for some nice clear wartime photos

Yes and no. Those flags denoted command of the particular vessel, so as a general rule no. However, there were 3 exceptions when a general could raise his flag in a water taxi ride. One such case was when he was visiting a foreign vessel. I will highlight that particular section below, if you want to engage a translator to cover all the legal details.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with translation of Wood tag attached to WWII IJN Admirals Flag  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    ...The tag is read Taisho-Ki, not Taisho Hata.
    D'OH! But of course! Just like the Stars & Stripes are called the 星条旗 Seijō-Ki.

Sheesh, Guy!

Thanks Nick.

-- Guy

?

Nice flag Longshot
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...