Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with unknown flag

Article about: A friend of mine asked me about this flag. Hopefully someone on the forum can help with an identification and an approximate value. He’s always looking for Japanese militaria for me, so this

?

Default Help with unknown flag

A friend of mine asked me about this flag. Hopefully someone on the forum can help with an identification and an approximate value. I look forward to hearing back from some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum.
    Thank you in advance,
    Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with unknown flag  
    Last edited by Vpep; 04-14-2018 at 04:56 PM.

望洋公立青年訓練場
    Bōyō Kōritsu Seinen Kunrenjō
    Bōyō Public Youth Training Center

望洋 [Bōyō]; trans: Ocean Overlook, maybe even "Ocean View." Wifie says this is a typical geographic name for a place overlooking the ocean. There's a Bōyōbashi [Ocean Overlook Bridge] in Hokkaido.

--Guy

[Edit: Your flag is showing the reverse side; turn it around when you display it.]

?

Guy, thanks for the translation. Now I have something more to go on to help identify my friends flag Is this a wartime school flag, Or do you think it is a post war flag?
    Thanks again
    Vic

It actually reads 望祥公立青年訓練所 "Mansang Public Youth Training Facility" . It was a youth training school set up by the Japanese in Mansang Korea.

This type of facility existed between 1926 and 1935, when they got transformed into regular Youth Schools. The correct orientation of the flag is as shown below. Interestingly, the writing goes left to right, like post war Japanese writing.

What may look like a pigeon is meant to be a Golden Kite.

Like common school flags featuring the rising sun design, these are not worth very much, though many non-Japanese buy them thinking they were army battle flags.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with unknown flag  

What was the nature of those training schools? What did they teach? How long was the school period?

It was a 4-year, 800-hour program from 16 to 20 years of age, for patriotic indoctrination and physical training of youth not advancing to senior high school education or university. Here's the Japanese Wiki, which you will have to translate using the translation feature.

High performers, who got citations had the privilege of having their military service in the army reduced by 6 months.

?

Nick, thank you very much for the information. So in your opinion would this be a flag for the school during the dates you mentioned, or is this for later reorganized schools? Also would these flags still be used after the war by these schools or would they adopt new insignia assuming they continued to operate?

This flag would not have been used after 1935. It was likely picked up during the Korean War rather than in WW2.

?

Great, thank you very much for your help.

Thanks for the correction, Nick. It’s right there under my nose ~~~ I was just too anxious to pull the trigger.

—Guy