Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi, Sword signiture help, please.

Article about: I just wondered if anyone could shed light on a signiture, I bought the sword (Gunto)maybe 12 years ago at Beltring (UK) military show, thank you for any help, greetings from cold Ontario! B

?

Default Hi, Sword signiture help, please.

I just wondered if anyone could shed light on a signiture, I bought the sword (Gunto)maybe 12 years ago at Beltring (UK) military show, thank you for any help, greetings from cold Ontario! But I can't seem to upload a photo?Hi, Sword signiture help, please.

Hi.

The link below will show you how to upload your photos -

Visual Guide to Upload Photos

For the best chance of getting answers it is always a good idea to upload multiple clear and focused photos in good lighting.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Thank you for help.

?

Orientation helps as well, I hope I orientated it correctly..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hi, Sword signiture help, please.  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Thank you!!

関住後藤兼廣作
    Seki-ju Gotō Kanehiro-saku
    Made by Gotō Kanehiro of Seki

I cannot find anything about him; will look again after dinner.

-- Guy

Found a bit:

Kanehiro Goto, who resides in Noshu Seki, is a swordsmith who was active in Seki City, Gifu Prefecture in the early Showa period, and was appointed as an army commissioned swordsmith during the war. He was good at making blade with temper lines of Sanbonsugi [ghp: "three cedar tree" temper] and had a reputation for sharpness. The 1941 new Japanese sword exhibition was held at the Ueno Tokyo Museum from March 28th to April 15th. At that time, he was chosen as the 4th seat (Honorable Mention).
    Japanese source

Another:

Seki swordsmith Goto Kanehiro did not make any swords after the war, so for Kanehiro swordsmith, this short sword is valuable because it will leave his name for future generations. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Goto Kanehiro because he has few works, but if he had been revived as a swordsmith after the war, just by looking at this short sword, he would have left his name as a master craftsman. The shape of this tanto is unusual, and the shape of the tanto is wonderful. I'm here. Perhaps because Kanehiro Goto was invited from all over the country at the time, he also made swords in Obama, Toyama, and there are also Obama-made swords. I look forward to future research. This tanto is made with an expensive handle and a rayskin-aiguchi koshirae with a rayskin-saya attached to it.
    source

-- Guy

Sheesh!! I should have used the simplified kanji instead of .

From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October [1939]:
    兼広 後藤広吉 S14.10.26
    • Smith name: Kanehiro
    • Civil name: Gotō Hiroyoshi
    • Entered into the register/licensed: Shōwa 14 [1939], October 26th

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:

KANEHIRO (兼広), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanehiro” (兼広), real name Gotō Hiroyoshi (後藤広吉), born October 1st 1907, student of Katsumasa (勝正), he worked as a guntō smith and died in January 26th 1960, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide), Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Also from Sesko, an explanation about the rankings mentioned:
    When it comes to gendaitō and especially WWII-era smiths, this publication includes the ranking of about 300 contemporary smiths carried out by Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) in 1942 under the title Seidai Tōshō Iretsu Ichiran (聖代刀匠位列一覧). He introduced seven ranks:

• shinpin no retsu (神品の列) Supreme masterworks
    • kihin-jōi (貴品上位) Superior precious works
    • kihin no retsu (貴品の列) Precious works
    • jōko no jōi (上工の上位) Superior master
    • jōkō no retsu (上工の列) Master
    ryōkō no jōi (良工の上位) Superior skilled artisan
    • ryōkō no retsu (良工の列) Skilled artisan

In addition, also the five ranks and the special rank of the sixth national sword making contest, the Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会), from 1941 are quoted. About 250 swordsmiths were awarded this year and the ranking was as follows:

• tokubetsu meiyo seki (特別名誉席) Special Honor Seat
    • kokukō (国工) First seat, national smith
    • jun-kokukō (準国工) Second seat, associate national smith
    • yūshū (優秀) Third seat, superior quality
    kasaku (佳作) Fourth seat, excellently made
    • shinshin (新進) Fifth seat, up and coming

-- Guy

?

Thats quite incredible research, thank you all.so much, I was told fhe signiture told a story, I wasnt sure so much on depth infomation could be found!

?

Hi, Sword signiture help, please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast