Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Hinomaru (Chinese made?)

Article about: Hello, I recently came across this Hinomaru for sale advertised as "Japanese flag WW2" with no further explanations. It looks like a fairly standard Japanese flag except for this t

Default Hinomaru (Chinese made?)

Hello,

I recently came across this Hinomaru for sale advertised as "Japanese flag WW2" with no further explanations. It looks like a fairly standard Japanese flag except for this tag written in Chinese that caught my eye, I had it translated and it's some sort of quality check by the factory and a mention that the fabric comes from Kyoto which makes me think that the flag could have been made in occupied China.

I was wondering if anyone on here could help me figure out if the flag is wartime (the flag itself is in really good condition, the corners look pretty used) and if so, tell me what the Chinese writing could indicate.

Marco

Hinomaru (Chinese made?)Hinomaru (Chinese made?)Hinomaru (Chinese made?)

The flag and label are purely wartime Japanese, nothing to do with China.

I restored the partly obliterated kanji in the photo below and you can read about the significance of that marking here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru (Chinese made?)  

Thanks, I had never seen those tags and the person that translated it for me translated it from Chinese, which led me to draw that conclusion. Your explanation cleared all the doubts I had!

Flags became subject to public pricing on 20th Sept. 1941

Interesting. Judging by the material used on the corners, I’m guessing this is late war manufacture?

Not late war, but rather closer to late 1941 (Pre-WW2)