Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

Article about: Hello, I would be grateful if someone could translate this flag. Sorry for the flag being wrinkled in some of the photos as I had to rely on someone else to take the photos-hopefully they wi

?

.Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

?

..Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

?

...Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

That mystery was already solved as 飯山道清 in post 27. Both guy and I use a stamp company's site to convert current characters into old style and the result is what I show below (both stamp font and cursive font shown). However, as soon as I knew it was the 1st Lt's name, I gave up making any further effort as company grade officers are generally not researchable unless the unit is known, etc.

Also, for the 3 stamps used in Japanese calligraphy, only the middle stamp with the characters in white is worth deciphering, as that is the writer's real name, and the other two are pen name and favorite words, which normally do not help in identifying a person.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request  
    Attached Images Attached Images Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request 

Quote by chen View Post
    ...Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request
    Those two characters look like below in stamp fonts
    Attached Images Attached Images Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request  Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request 

Although this has nothing to do with identifying the writer, his favorite phrase was 勤是楽 (Kinzeraku or 勤めこれ楽しさなり), a phrase from Judo, which means "Joy of discipline"or in full "Although people tend to seek easy pleasure in idleness, there is also a kind of joy you can only find in discipline gained through hard endless practice" This was a phrase coined by the famous Judo master Jigoro Kano
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request  

?

Mr. Komiya,
    You are the man!!

Default Flag summary

Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

Thank you to Mr. Nick Komiya, Mr. Guy and Mr. Chen for translating this flag. I appreciate all their help! I have summarized the flag translation below (to the best of my ability), please correct me if I have made any mistakes in the summary. -Darren

FLAG SUMMARY

1) Main slogan meant "Imperial Winds will reach all corners of the Earth" 皇風遍六合 (the reference to the number 6 means the 4 compass directions North, South, East and West plus Heaven and Earth). That slogan calligraphy was written by 2nd Lt Michikiyo Iiyama.

2) 2nd Lt Michikiyo Iiyama also contributes the expected slogan "Everlasting Fortunes in Battle" (武運長久 Bu'un Chōkyū also known as Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War).

3) (Signature) Name of Lt. General is Medical Lt. General Takagi 高木軍*中将 also known as Takagi Gun Chūjō or Lt General Takagi. 高木軍*中将

4) 1st Lt - Name Unknown ?

5) 2nd Lt Michikiyo Iiyama. 中尉

6) Colonel Name Unknown ?

A) Stamp A is author's motto or favorite word 勤武糸 favorite phrase was 勤是楽 (Kinzeraku or 勤めこれ楽しさなり), a phrase from Judo, which means "Joy of discipline"or in full "Although people tend to seek easy pleasure in idleness, there is also a kind of joy you can only find in discipline gained through hard endless practice" This was a phrase coined by the famous Judo master Jigoro Kano

B) Stamp B or the middle stamp is the real name Michikiyo Iiyama 飯山道清

C) Stamp C is the last stamp and is a pen name 引順

This army man (Takagi, Kosaburo) is more likely to be your man on the flag. Takagi, Kosaburo became Med. Lt Gen at the 1st Division on 1st Nov. 1937. That is the Surgeon General of the Army

高木 小三郎 たかぎ こさぶろう 東京
    Takagi, Kosaburo

発令日 階級 その他身分 補職/任官
    昭 4(1929). 8. 1 陸軍一等軍医正   軍医校教官
    昭 5(1930). 8. 1     東京第二病院長
    昭 6(1931). 8. 1     医務局医事課長
    昭 8(1933). 8. 1     近衛師団軍医部長
    昭 9(1934). 3. 5 陸軍軍医監    
    昭10(1935). 8. 1     台湾軍軍医部長
    昭12(1937). 2.15 陸軍軍医少将    
    昭12(1937).11. 1 陸軍軍医中将   待命
    昭12(1937).11.30 予備役    

TRANSLATED:

Takagi Kozaburo Takagi Hisakururo Tokyo Takagi, Kosaburo

Execution date class Other positions Staff / Commissioner Showa 4 (1929)

8.1 Army First-class military doctor regular medical instructor Sho 5 (1930).
    8 1 Tokyo Second Hospital Director Sho 6 (1931).
    8 1 Director of Medical Division, Medical Bureau 8 (1933).
    8 1 Konoe Division Military Medical Manager Sho 9 (1934).
    3.5 Army military doctor supervisor Sho 10 (1935).
    8 1 Taiwan army military medical manager Akira 12 (1937).
    2.15 Army army medicine major Akira 12 (1937) .
    11. 1 Army military general lieutenant general Showa 12 (1937)
    11.30 Reserve
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 11-30-2017 at 04:12 PM.

A slight correction to your transliteration:

Quote by Gojira
    Liyama 飯山
    Surname should be Iiyama with a double-i.

--Guy

Thank You. Correction made.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast