MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Hinomaru no Yosegaki Assistance

Article about: Hello and Greetings: I was sent the pictures below of this Hinomaru no Yosegaki. I would appreciate any opinions as to its authenticity and content. I apologize in advance if the pictures ar

?

Default Hinomaru no Yosegaki Assistance

Hello and Greetings:
    I was sent the pictures below of this Hinomaru no Yosegaki. I would appreciate any opinions as to its authenticity and content. I apologize in advance if the pictures are not of the best quality. One of the pictures is of the reverse side. I hope to see it in person later this week. Thank you for any help.

Looks good. Mostly signatures with some maxims. I do not see a recipient's name.

A few of the sayings:

Top center in small print, 2 lines:
    祈武運長久
    Inori Bu’un Chōkyū
    Prayers for continued happiness in the fate of war

Top right:
    必勝
    Hisshō
    Certain Victory

體當り
    Karada Atari [modern Japanese: 体当たり]
    ramming attack; hurling oneself (at); throwing oneself into (e.g. a role); going all out

Right:
    萬古放光
    Banko Hōkō
    Eternal Radiance [Remain Radiant Forever]

Left:
    一撃
    Ichi Geki
    One Blow/Strike/Hit

-- Guy

Not particularly interesting like a phonebook, but still OK. Nice adult handwriting.

?

Thanks Guy and Nick! I am still on the lookout for one with more interesting writing, such as the name of the owner, company name, location, school, date, etc.

A basic question...are the slogans typically written by a person that also signed the Hinomaru no Yosegaki, and if yes, is that signature typically next to the slogan?

?

In addition to my question above (about the slogan writer also being a signer of the Hinomaru no Yosegaki), are the slogans usually written in larger or bolder characters than the signatures? Or may some of the slogans be written in the same size as the signatures? Hope I have not reached my question limit for today!

Yosegaki is when several people contribute well-wishing messages together, addressing together a mutual acquaintance. Birthday cards, Xmas cards, Get Well cards signed by more than 1 person are all Yosegaki and there is absolutely no difference between a Flag Yosegaki and one in card form I'm sure that you've signed at least once in your life for a parent, classmate or coworker. Do you sign your name beside your Happy Birthday message? Do you write your name in larger letters than the words Merry Christmas? The practice of Yosegaki is universal (At least between Europe, America, Canada and Japan). The only difference is that Western Yosegaki is mostly on cards and, in Japan, mostly on large nonportable cardboard Shikishi, which was not practical for going to war Yosegaki, so they made the exception of using flags instead.