Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps

Article about: Hello: I am still hoping to find a Hinomaru no Yosegaki with more than just signatures on it. I was presented the one shown below, with several stamps. Also, I noted that there is some reddi

?

Default Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps

Hello: I am still hoping to find a Hinomaru no Yosegaki with more than just signatures on it. I was presented the one shown below, with several stamps. Also, I noted that there is some reddish material or ink next to one of the corner tabs. I could not determine if it is from the tab.
    Thank you for any guidance as to the authenticity and translation of this item.

Wow!! Written and signed by army general Oi Shigemoto:
    大井成元 - Wikipedia

Buy it if it’s affordable.

陸軍大将男爵大井成元
    Rikugun Taisho Danshaku Oi Shigemoto
    Army General Baron Oi Shigemoto

I’m on my iPhone now and cannot do a fair job on the flag, but will work on it later tonight.

— Guy

?

Thanks Guy for the feedback. Do you feel that it was really signed by a Japanese General? Or could someone have signed his name, even post-war? Is it possible to authenticate a signature?

Those are his stamps.

?

Thanks Guy. Is there a source for identifying signature stamps (Inkan made by Hanko?), in general, and for this person, specifically? Is it possible that someone made up a Hanko for this specific person at a later date and stamped the flag?

Is there anything interesting with the other inscriptions?

I appreciate the help!

He is no one famous, so I doubt fakers would bother faking his stamps as a calligrapher artist, but the difference in handwriting compared to his other works shown below is a bit unnerving, or was it simply old age, I don't know. Also, if you had been reading my explanations, you would have known that this is no Yosegaki.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps   Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps  

Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps   Hinomaru no Yosegaki, with stamps  

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    He is no one famous, so I doubt fakers would bother faking his stamps as a calligrapher artist, but the difference in handwriting compared to his other works shown below is a bit unnerving, or was it simply old age, I don't know. Also, if you had been reading my explanations, you would have known that this is no Yosegaki.
    Thank you for the feedback. I would be curious, if authentic, how often these are found with a general's handwriting or stamp on them.

Also, if I am incorrect in initially calling this item "Hinomaru no Yosegaki", I guess that is due to my inability to read Kanji. I could not tell what the inscriptions state. To further my understanding, what is the proper term for this item?

He was retired by WW2 and such grandpas enjoyed giving military pep talks to kids in his neighborhood and often signed such flags for those kids. In 1946, he was out of public office and working for a bathhouse, taking care of footwear of guests.

?

Thank you. What would be the correct description for this type of flag?

Just call it a signed flag rather than get tangled in specialized Japanese words.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast