Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hinomaru no Yosegaki, Two of Two, With Interesting Figure

Article about: Hello: Attached is a picture of the second of two Hinomaru no Yosegaki that I came across. This one has an interesting figure holding a flag on the bottom right and many stamps. Are the stam

?

Default Hinomaru no Yosegaki, Two of Two, With Interesting Figure

Hello: Attached is a picture of the second of two Hinomaru no Yosegaki that I came across.

This one has an interesting figure holding a flag on the bottom right and many stamps. Are the stamps signature stamps?

Condition of the flag is excellent which does make me question authenticity. Or perhaps, if authentic, it was not carried into battle.

Thank you for any feedback.

This was presented to an Army Platoon stationed in Korea by members of a Korean daily newspaper, Chosen Daily. The Lt's name is the first two kanji, but I cannot make it out. I suppose the unit was moving out to fight in China. Good assortment of slogans as well. The stamps are only family names, nothing of interest.
    The only reading I can think of for the first characters is 無敵 meaning invincible. If I'm right, it was given to an anonymous platoon. Another inscription repeats Dear Invincibe Lt, Best of Health to you.

?

Thank you Nick. Very interesting. Would this likely have been the same newspaper: 조선일보 - 1등 디지털뉴스 I understand that it has been published since 1919.

Is a presentation from a Korean newspaper to a Japanese Army platoon of an unusual nature? I read that the newspaper that I linked to above was critical of Japan during the occupation.

Yes, correct. Good night.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    ...The only reading I can think of for the first characters is 無敵 meaning invincible. If I'm right, it was given to an anonymous platoon. Another inscription repeats Dear Invincible Lt, Best of Health to you.
    I see it listed as a surname in the database I use:

無敵
    Muteki
    Surname

Great name for a lieutenant!!!

Google hit for the surname "Muteki" here.
    壮大な名前・強そうな名前
    長州征伐で高杉晋作から賜った "無敵幸之進勝之" の名前から。約20人

From the name of "Invincible [Muteki] Konoshin Katsuyuki" given by Shinsaku Takasugi in the Choshu expedition. About 20 people.

I also found a given name:
    氏名:上村 無敵

-- Guy

?

Thank you Guy. If authentic and if prior to 1946 vintage, it adds to my interest that a Korean newspaper would prepare a flag to a Japanese Army platoon.

"Lt. Invicible" has a nice familiarity to it!

I find the little figure holding a little Hinomaru to also add to the interest.

Quote by Bobby View Post
    Thank you Guy. If authentic and if prior to 1946 vintage, it adds to my interest that a Korean newspaper would prepare a flag to a Japanese Army platoon.
    Remember that Korea was a Japanese colony until 1945. All the signatures are Japanese; could be Koreans using Japanese names (still done by Koreans in Japan -- I've known a couple).

-- Guy

?

Thanks Guy, I did not know that Koreans did use (or may be still using) Japanese names. And of course the Japanese had the Jinsen arsenal in Korea.

?

Hello. I got to see this flag in person. It is in excellent condition, which, if it was hung in a newspaper office and not carried into the field, makes sense. I took a few close up pictures of the material. Somewhat rough texture. Is it likely to be made of cotton or rayon?

Also took closeup pictures of the human figure and the corner tabs. The tabs are also in excellent condition, but have different types of string.