Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to remove a stain from a leather saya of a katana

Article about: Hello everyone, a few months ago I published some images of a katana that I finally acquired, the katana came in good condition but on the leather saya it has traces of glue from having had

Default How to remove a stain from a leather saya of a katana

Hello everyone, a few months ago I published some images of a katana that I finally acquired, the katana came in good condition but on the leather saya it has traces of glue from having had a label in that place for a long time, at first the the area was sticky but after applying leather moisturizer it was no longer sticky, but the stain is still visible. Is there something I can do without breaking the leather? Thank you, I await your advice.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to remove a stain from a leather saya of a katana  

?

People who put stickers on leather should be shot!

The only way to remove them is with careful and patient application of lighter fluid. The fuel softens the glue, to allow you to lift a sticker a little at a time, or gently wipe away glue residue. If lightly applied, the fuel should evaporate before doing any harm to the leather surface, or causing too much of a stain. It may be that a final polish of the whole item is necessary, after sticker and glue has been gently removed, in order to blend in any discolouration.

Not an ideal treatment, but the damage has already been done by the berk with the stickers!

?

When Kohima says lighter fluid (naphtha), he means the kind you use in a Zippo lighter and not the butane variety.

I'll translate for Kohima since I lived in Scotland and Newcastle for half a year. (^__^)

berk (bɜːk; bɜːʳk) / noun (British). Eejit; idjit, iijit.

(^__^)

-- Guy

Also: 'numpty', ...

?

My wife is a nurse and she brings home little single use "adhesive remover" packets. They use them to remove tape residue on patients. Pretty mild, but sure does the trick.

PG-

?

I use methanol on metal. Don't know on leather.
    Luc

?

I does not look like a modern sticker glue to me. It could have been a paper label stuck on with arabic gum. Hard to recommend a solvent without knowing what it is. If arabic gum, a cotton swab with water might work. My biggest concern would be to mess it up into a smear that looks worse than it is now.

Just a suggestion not sure if it will work but what about Goo gone? I have used Goo gone on tons of stuff.

I would leave it just as it is. I've worked leather and it seems anytime I get an errant water spot, it stays ... unless I soak the entire project and let it gradually dry at room temperature. I think that if you try to remove the goo/stain will only make it worse.

-- Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast