Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

IJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help Please

Article about: I picked up what I believe to be a nice condition canteen with all of the design changes made after November 1942 according to Nick Komiya's very detailed thread on the evalution of the IJA

Default IJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help Please

I picked up what I believe to be a nice condition canteen with all of the design changes made after November 1942 according to Nick Komiya's very detailed thread on the evalution of the IJA canteen. Much appreciated Nick. It looks like someone US name on the back strap. The really dark bold markings look a bit strange to me. I do not know what the other writings are on the strap. Opinions and help with markings are appreciated. Hopefully good enough to keep for my manikin.
    John

IJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help PleaseIJA Canteen Opions and Markings Help Please

John, I am not sure what it says but I do know I thing, I like it a whole lot. GREAT FIND!!!!
    I’m looking forward to the translation.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Nice example John!

Regards

Russ

Default Furuki

古木
    Furuki
    Surname [means "Oldtree"]

古木義治
    Furuki Yoshiharu

富士川町本通り
    Fujikawa-chō Hondōri
    Fujikawa-chō [Fujikawa Town], Main Street

--Guy

The address indicates postwar civilian use, as canteens were a must have item for everyone until water supply could be restored. The canteen bottom is marked 15 for 1940, so an earlier canteen probably had its harness swapped out after the war.

Thank you for the replies and translation. I am a bit disappointed in the post war markings but it is all part of the history. If the cateen is dated 1940 then the stopper and and tie string were also replaced at some time? The stopper change with tie strings was noted to have been incorporated in later of 1942.
    John

The harness would have originally been the early model with leather strap closure to match a 1940 bottle. However the lid is a correct combination with the last model harness. For your reference, I added some detailed photos of my mint late model canteen here.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 05-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.