MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IJA full camo net.

Article about: Hello everyone, I would like some opinions about an item I thought to be rare until now, which is the imperial Japanese army full body camouflage net. They are popping out on eBay like mushr

Default IJA full camo net.

Hello everyone,

I would like some opinions about an item I thought to be rare until now, which is the imperial Japanese army full body camouflage net. They are popping out on eBay like mushrooms after the rain. What makes me wonder is the fact all of them looks to be in mint condition. Some of the sellers are located in Japan while other are from China Beijing. In the other hand I didn't find them in the main reenactor's shops like Nakata Shoten nor Hikishop.

I am considering buying one but the more I think about it the more I am reluctant to do so.

Here is the picture from on eBay. Another is for sale on Daniel Griffin website. While another one had been posted on WAF some years ago : WWII Japanese Army tri colors camo net - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

IJA full camo net.

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers,
    Mat.
    Last edited by Mathieu C; 03-09-2018 at 03:02 AM.

I have never researched these, so I have no bullet-proof response. But what I can say is that there are 13 types of nets in the army spec book, but none with a diagonal slit like that. They all have the opening on the side as shown below. However, the spec book is only for 1942/43, so what the spec book shows is not the whole story. On the other hand, I do not see why they would select a diagonal slit as a last ditch spec, because it appears more complicated than the side slits. Theoretically it could be an earlier version, but early versions will not be coming out as deadstock, because the IJA always used up old stock before issuing new types.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA full camo net.  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-09-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Hello Nick thank you for landing a hand.

13 is a lot, is it including helmet net or body net only ? Aside from the slit there are several features (3 that I can notice at least) that doesn't appear on the example for sale. Overal construction looks more "amateur" too, almost lazy from what I would expect after checking this drawing. All have a diagonal slit but none of the same proportion.

I am not comfortable with the fact that several sellers looks to have the same background for their picture. So I believe they may be retailers from the same source. Price range is weird too. The seller in Beijing have one starting at $10 without reserve, and another for $280 with a buy it now price of $364 ...

All in all I think I will just pass as there are too many questions. And keep my money for a bullet-proof one, or other original item illustrated in one of your thread. I have nothing against reproduction when original item are just too rare or too expensive (often both). But the minimum is selling them for what they really are. I don't want an item when I am not able to tell if real or not, or even if it is accurate. Would be pointless.

Thank you for saving me a painful lesson !

Cheers,
    Mat.

?

I've seen a few sizes. I'd hold out for one that has colored grass attached. Grass is dyed to match corresponding color areas on net

Yes, strands of grass tied unto the net is part of the official specs in the attached drawing, at least for 1942/43

like this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA full camo net.  

kind of odd that all of a sudden a bunch of these have surfaced that are all the same... I have owned two originals that differed slightly in construction from the recently surfaced examples.

Thank you for you input Delibes and Razorback. Japanese militaria seems to be more and more popular. Nets have always been bankable items from the Nakata examples for helmet. That's why we have to be careful with things that can be reproduced / forged so easily.

?

They're still finding caches of WW2 items. Last I can recall were the navy enlisted field caps. Maybe an amount of nets were discovered?

I agree with you, that was my first thought. But any of the current sellers mention it. If it was mine I would have advertised it this way.

But I am not ready to gamble a few hundreds dollars if I am not able to confirm that the item is original. As the material is really unexpensive thé loss would be to big IMO. Like buying a repro Third Reich helmet cover for an original.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast