Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

IJA tropical cap

Article about: I purchased this IJA tropical cap in an effort to finish a display. Some collectors say this is a rarely used type and very late war issued. I would like to get some more input from our memb

Default IJA tropical cap

I purchased this IJA tropical cap in an effort to finish a display. Some collectors say this is a rarely used type and very late war issued. I would like to get some more input from our members on this particular example. The chin strap is missing but you can see one was present at some time. Thanks for your input. Neil
    IJA tropical capIJA tropical capIJA tropical capIJA tropical cap

My personal opinion is that it's a repro. Your hat is in the correct 1944 cut. But it is controversial whether the field caps were ever made in cotton..

If original, I would have expected the following to be present.
    1. Star sewn direct without wool base or woven version (BEVO) with pentagon base.
    2. Manufacturer's inspector stamp in addition to the depot stamp. Or no stamps at all, as there is no record of cotton caps ever being made in Japan for the army.
    3. Hemp removable lining.

By regulation, Army caps for the tropics were also supposed to be in wool.

Thanks Nick. There is another stamp on the other side of the cap. Would it help to see that one? I have heard differing opinions on the cotton cap from some pretty serious collector/dealers. They almost all have doubts as well. Neil

Thanks, but I'm afraid nothing you can show me further would tip the scale in favor of the cap.