Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

IJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please

Article about: I have been trying to figure out if this is original, reproduction or post war made. It looks okay to me as compared to the other 2 I found on this forum. Compares with a couple other exampl

Default IJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please

I have been trying to figure out if this is original, reproduction or post war made. It looks okay to me as compared to the other 2 I found on this forum. Compares with a couple other examples on the net but there are very few examples. Non magnetic. Feels kind of cheap in hand and I could not find any type of inspectors marking. Should there be one? The stamped marking mirrors to the other side a somewhat. That also surprises me. I would have thought these would be a little more common on the web. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.Thank you for looking.
    John

IJN Boatswain Whistle Help PleaseIJN Boatswain Whistle Help PleaseIJN Boatswain Whistle Help PleaseIJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please

?

Looks fine to me. They’re uncommon. I have two & both are slightly different

Here's a comparison of yours and what's on the web. Note the spacing between the waves and difference in anchor design. See for yourself by using 帝国海軍号笛 as search word on Google and select photo display. I'm no expert, but statistics are not on your side in my opinion. On the other hand, a repro search had no hits.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please  

?

I think there will be differences from maker to maker as well as time periods these have been produced

Thank you for the information. I would agree there would be differences in different makers. I have not been able to figure out how many makers there were. Also surprised to see a lack of maker mark or inspection Kanji mark. The item came from a long time collector of WWI items. Does not mean too much other than another experienced collector.
    John

?

I doubt there are many fakes, but the JMSDF still uses these.

Both mine look like the one in post #1. One of those was from the son via e-bay. The other I kept out of a 4th Raider battalion woodwork group. It was from New Georgia. Have a copy of the letter he sent home with it somewhere. I have never seen the other type but I can't say I pay a lot of attention to the variations of these.

?

Here are my two.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please   IJN Boatswain Whistle Help Please  

Thank you Jareth. That give me much more hope that they are period correct. Much appreciated. I will not likely ever find a lanyard.
    John

and mine in this thread is different
    WWII Japanese Boatswains whistle