Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IJN Early Winter Cap

Article about: Cleaning the cabinets today and thought I'd post this early winter cap with the 2 piece felt/wool insignia. The cap is rather fragile and has suffered moth damage to the body but the insigni

?

Default IJN Early Winter Cap

Cleaning the cabinets today and thought I'd post this early winter cap with the 2 piece felt/wool insignia. The cap is rather fragile and has suffered moth damage to the body but the insignia is intact. The sweatband is also breaking up in places. This is one of my favourite pieces of headgear despite its condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Early Winter Cap   IJN Early Winter Cap  

IJN Early Winter Cap   IJN Early Winter Cap  

IJN Early Winter Cap   IJN Early Winter Cap  

IJN Early Winter Cap  

佐世保 Issued from Sasebo Depot

Dated around Showa 11~13 ... I can't read it clearly; March, maybe February (?).

三中二小 3rd Company, 2nd Platoon

二曹 Nisō. 二等兵曹 (Nitōheisō) Petty Officer 2nd Class

高橋 Takahashi [surname]
    幸平 Kōhei [given name]

-- Guy

Nice early Type 1 Russ, lucky the critters didn't get to the anchor, they sure do like anchors and stars, what other goodies did you find in that cabinet ?
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

A beauty Russ!

?

Very nice cap! The date may even say 1939, but it's very hard to read. With 3rd Company 2nd Platoon written we can say this cap was almost certainly used by Special Naval Landing Forces or some other large NLF unit in China. For some reason these caps are thought of as winter caps for the whole navy, but they were actually specifically designated as NLF caps just like their green wool counterparts. Nonetheless, that didn't stop gunboat crewmen, air unit personnel, and other ground or small surface vessel personnel outside of Japan from wearing them. Also to note the proper name is "black field cap" (黒色戦闘帽), not very creative to say the least.

?

Guy, many thanks as always for your translations, and this seems to have an added bonus from the info provided by Austin!

Bill, thank you, a few more things in the cabinets, will hopefully get some more up at some point!

Austin, thanks for the great background info. I've learnt a few things from your post, and that is very much appreciated! Agree, the correct name is rather disappointing!

Cheers
    Russ

?

I will try and enhance the image to see if the date can become a little clearer.

?

This is about as good as I can get it - it's just too faded out to get any better.

IJN Early Winter Cap

The year looks like 13 (1938)
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

Russ, great cap! If you own a UV/black light it might enhance the ink stamp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast