Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

IJN Flag

Article about: Hi Guys, this has come into work. Brought home by a British Royal Marine. I have not seen anything like it before. Size is 175cm x 82cm. As you can see condition is not great. Any ideas plea

Default IJN Flag

Hi Guys, this has come into work. Brought home by a British Royal Marine. I have not seen anything like it before. Size is 175cm x 82cm. As you can see condition is not great.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Flag   IJN Flag  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,

I'm not sure what it is ... maybe a maintenance squaddie's handkerchief?
    [Edit: okay, so I'm still on the imperial measurement system!! Big hanky if it is 2.7ft x 5ft]

必勝
    Hisshou
    Assured Victory; Victory!

二分隊

Cheers,
    -- Guy
    Ni Buntai
    2nd Squad

Since there is a spanner representing the engineering branch “機関科- Kikanka” on the left of the anchor and a pair of dividers representing the shipwrights branch “工作科- Kousakuka” on the right of the anchor, I believe the banner has to have had something to do with a school or training course where sailors from both branches trained together.
    My guess is that it was from one of the classes of Navy Boot Camp “海兵団- Kaiheidan” graduating in late 1938. Unlike the Army which assigned individual recruits straight to depot units for training, the Navy first trained all recruits collectively before assigning them to individual shore/ sea assignments at training centers, “海兵団- Kaiheidan”. Originally, there were 2 courses each year for conscripts each lasting 4 months and a separate course for volunteers lasting 6 months though the lengths of the courses got cut shorter with the increasing demands for sailors.
    The trainees were formed into “分隊- buntai, squads” of recruits belonging to the same branch.
    The shipwrights, those engaged in carpentry, welding, damage control and diving to repair ships, were originally part of the engineering branch until September 20, 1938 when they became a separate branch so it is plausible that those going on to the shipwrights’ career would have trained in the same squad as those going on to the engineering career in the same squad in 1938.

Thank both very much!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!