Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger

Article about: Hello everybody. at one auction they put up an interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger. But there are many differences. What do you think about this dagger?interesting Jap

?

Default interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger

Hello everybody.
    At one auction they put up an interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger.
    But there are many differences. What do you think about this dagger?
    link - Google Photos

interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's daggerinteresting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's daggerinteresting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's daggerinteresting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger

Looks like a standard forester's dagger for Hanninkan Stationmaster, but with a second Haikan added. The Haikan is clearly from a different dagger and looks very unbalanced.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger  

Oh, I now see that the Haikan has a ring only on one side, so back to the search.

?

Looks line there has been a ring on the other side

Now, I'm fairly certain this is a Frankenstein Forester with swapped Haikan. Police and fire brigade daggers had their Haikan rings omitted on one side in August 1942 as shown below, but there is no record of this happening to a forester's dagger.

The one in question, in my opinion, is a forester dagger with post-1942 police dagger haikan added along with a second haikan from elsewhere that should not be there at all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture interesting Japanese dagger similar to a forester's dagger  

?

It dosent look like a rope Haiken.

I was not referring to the rope-style Haikan, as all Haikan on police daggers got rings omitted on one side in 1942. See announcement below.

I agree the second ring looks "out of place" on this scabbard. I don't think you have stumbled upon a rare treasure - I think you are looking at a piece part put together item that the seller/assembler is selling thru an auction to avoid having to prove this item is "original".