Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting USGI Examined Techo

Article about: I'm hoping for help learning more about this interesting Techo that has the following notation, "Checked + Examined by L F(?) Barrett PFC Language Interpreter". I can see the origi

Default Interesting USGI Examined Techo

I'm hoping for help learning more about this interesting Techo that has the following notation, "Checked + Examined by L F(?) Barrett PFC Language Interpreter". I can see the original Japanese owner was born in 1910. Adding a little more interest, at least to me, is a good luck charm(?) found in the back pocket.

Any help with the Japanese soldiers name and any interesting unit movements or locations is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Interesting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined TechoInteresting USGI Examined Techo

?

You have a nice wartime example there. Soldier belonged to the 265th Independent Motor Transport Company. Looks like all the entries/movements are when he was in China, with last dated entry being in November of 1943. I imagine it was captured on Guam or maybe another of the Mariana Islands. I have a 265th techou in my collection. I will see if I can dig it out and post for comparison. I believe it did not have any Mariana entries either.

Also, I believe the little cloth item in the techou pocket is unit insignia. You can find pictures of IJA soldiers wearing them on/near their chest pockets.

Tom

His name was Sakio Kudo, and he was Private 1st class in the 265 Independent Motor Transport Company from November 1942.

He originally passed his physical in 1929, but was not drafted at the time and was kept in first reserve status. He was finally called into service in 1941 by the 57th Field Artillery Regiment. He was then assigned to the 3rd field hospital of the 57th Division, landed in Korea in August and served garrison duty in Manchuria until being hospitalized in December, because of a hemorrhoid. He made private 1st class right after being discharged from hospital in Feb 1942, at which time, he was transferred to the motor transport company. He engaged in border patrol and freighting of depot supplies.

?

Here is my 265th Coy example. Your guy had more time in Manchuria, but it looks like ultimately the last entries in both booklets are the same and within the same time frame, so strong possibility they at least knew of each other. The soldier who used my booklet left Hakata port by boat, arrived in Pusan, crossed into Manchukuo from Korea and ultimately ended up in Hailar, Xing'an Province North (in current day Inner Mongolia), providing support to the border garrison facing off against Soviet forces. No mention of movement to the Pacific, but that is most likely the case. Thanks for sharing!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting USGI Examined Techo   Interesting USGI Examined Techo  

Interesting USGI Examined Techo  

Tom and Nick, thank you both very much for your help, it's appreciated!!

Tom, I think you're right about the small cloth item being a unit insignia. Thank you too for posting your example. Very neat to see another from the same unit!