Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interesting Yosegaki Hinomaru Find

Article about: Hello all, first offical post here but a longtime lurker. I wanted to share this Yosegaki Hinomaru that I happened into, but with the amount of fakes of these i wanted to see if anyone could

Here are some pictures of what I believe is a patriotic flag with a saying on it. The case also has some writing on it. The ink from the case has blead onto the flag, and is quite fragile overall. I believe that the pictures cover all the possible orientations, I appreciate your help!

Interesting Yosegaki Hinomaru FindInteresting Yosegaki Hinomaru FindInteresting Yosegaki Hinomaru FindInteresting Yosegaki Hinomaru FindInteresting Yosegaki Hinomaru Find

MAP
    ?

There was a thread on these "patriotic" flags a few months back. Couldn't find it. I think Nick gave some good details on these and if I remember they are still being made to this day. I have one myself that was a vet pick up.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Just the name and address of a boy, Saburo Kumamoto, resident of Ibaraki Prefecture. He wrote his full address on the bag, in case he dropped it.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Just the name and address of a boy, Saburo Kumamoto, resident of Ibaraki Prefecture. He wrote his full address on the bag, in case he dropped it.
    Thanks Nick I appreciate it! I'm glad to know a bit more about it's past. Any comments on the Yosegaki Hinomaru with the new picture I put up?

As I already warned you early on that Navy Kamikaze flags are mostly bad, I can tell you that I would not have touched that flag, had I been offered it. At best it's a botched enhancement of a wartime flag.

Flags like these need to follow certain social protocols, like offering a toast at a party after a short speech. If you have a Xmas party with people you work with, you normally ask the boss to offer the toast or at a class reunion, the teacher, etc, normally the most senior person. In the case of this flag, that toast giver was an Army Colonel ( who Guy mistook as navy) named Einosuke Otake. He wrote the main dedication and Iwata, the soldier's name followed by his signature. He would have been the most senior officer in reserve for the neighborhood and was thus given that honor. However, for a colonel of the army he has embarrassingly poor handwriting.

At that time, though, the "navy student" title above Iwata's name was not there, but this was thrown in later to make him look more like a Tokko candidate. And to add insult to Otake's childish scribbling, Iwata's Dad barges in at the beginning, upstaging the colonel in large messy letters as if stoned with "The Sky's where lads belong", not a solemn way to say good bye forever to a son. Iwata's Dad is a total disgrace in how he treated the colonel. Thus, the garish right half of this flag is devoid of social grace as if brought to you by the Beverly Hillbillies.

On the other hand, two inscriptions at 6 o'oclock ring true as Tokko, one being a subtle "Get hewn into shape at Tsuchiura", which was a training airbase for navy pilots in Ibaraki. and next to it is a typical Tokko poem about falling like cherry blossom petals for the Great Lord. These two belong there and are no ad hoc additions.

But the two references I mentioned in the beginning seem like they were added in neon lights for those who don't know which side is up or back, in other words, to attract enough attention on things like Ebay. I think it's been messed with.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 11-25-2020 at 10:23 PM.

As I already warned you early on that Navy Kamikaze flags are mostly bad, I can tell you that I would not have touched that flag, had I been offered it. At best it's a botched enhancement of a wartime flag.

Flags like these follow certain social protocols, like offering a toast at a party after a short speech. If you have a Xmas party with people you work with, you normally ask the boss to offer the toast or at a class reunion, the teacher, etc, normally the most senior person. In the case of this flag, that toast giver was an Army Colonel ( who Guy mistook as navy) named Einosuke Otake. He wrote the main dedication and Iwata, the soldier's name followed by his signature. He would have been the most senior officer in reserve for the neighborhood and was thus given that honor. However, for a colonel of the army he has embarrassingly poor handwriting.

At that time, though, the "navy student" title above Iwata's name was not there, but this was thrown in later to make him look more like a Tokko candidate. And to add insult to Otake's childish scribbling, Iwata's Dad barges in at the beginning, upstaging the colonel in large messy letters as if stoned with "The Sky's where lads belong", not a solemn way to say good bye forever to a son. Iwata's Dad is a total disgrace in how he treated the colonel. Thus, the garish right half of this flag is devoid of social grace as if brought to you by the Beverly Hillbillies.

On the other hand, two inscriptions at 6 o'oclock ring true as Tokko, one being a subtle "Get hewn into shape at Tsuchiura", which was a training airbase for navy pilots in Ibaraki. and next to it is a typical Tokko poem about falling like cherry blossom petals for the Great Lord. These two belong there and are no ad hoc additions.

But the two references I mentioned in the beginning seem like they were added in neon lights for those who don't know which side is up or back, in other words, to attract enough attention on things like Ebay. I think it's been messed with.
    Thank you very much for the information Nick! The fact that it is a wartime flag that was later enhanced is actually very welcome news for my wife, since she was having qualms of including it in my display case. Considering I came into it for a very nice deal, I'm pleased it is not an obvious post war fake.

Such flags would have been the first prized possession Tokko pilots took to their deaths. Thus real Tokko flags should not exist. He most likely survived the war before having to go. Someone must have "dramatized" it for sale.

.... In the case of this flag, that toast giver was an Army Colonel ( who Guy mistook as navy)...
    "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. ... Nicolaus, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum cubiculum tuum."

(^__^)

Herewith I show my brothers the error I have made.
    Interesting Yosegaki Hinomaru Find

-- Guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2