Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese army parade sword/saber

Article about: I have been offered a Japanese army parade sword/saber. It is in great shape, no blade issues and it has a Mon family crest. He is asking 250.00 is that a good price I see price all over the

Default Japanese army parade sword/saber

I have been offered a Japanese army parade sword/saber. It is in great shape, no blade issues and it has a Mon family crest. He is asking 250.00 is that a good price I see prices all over the place when you try to search the internet. I don't need it, but if it is a good price well you know the rest of the story.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese army parade sword/saber   Japanese army parade sword/saber  

Japanese army parade sword/saber   Japanese army parade sword/saber  

Japanese army parade sword/saber  
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 05-10-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

that sounds cheap for that sword.

?

Hi Marty , it looks in very nice condition with plenty of gilt left on and the mon is a bonus , you can't lose at 250 IMO .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Are there any good sites to go to for Samurai family crest. I found one site but could find it there. It would be nice to know the family name...... Well I got two yea's that it would be a good deal. I will sleep on it and make the decision on Tuesday.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Are there any good sites to go to for Samurai family crest. I found one site but could find it there. It would be nice to know the family name...... Well I got two yea's that it would be a good deal. I will sleep on it and make the decision on Tuesday.
    Following the Meiji Period, family mon were adopted by nearly all Japanese families. There is no way to trace the owner's name just from the mon on the handle.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

That price is within a reasonable range of values. It's not a real deal but nor is it wildly overpriced. If you are looking to collect a single representative example that is certainly one to consider.

As Bob says you will not be able to identify a specific family but you can get more info on kamon (mon) here ...

Hidaka Family Emblems

Regards,
    Stu

It looks like chrysanthemum leaves with a "kuginuki" inside -- but I cannot find an example.
    菊葉中釘抜き
    Kikuba chuu kuginuki

The closest I can find is bamboo with a kuginuki inside:

抱き竹笹に釘抜き紋
    Daki Takesasa ni Kuginuki mon
    Bamboo leaves embracing a nail-puller.

So, using that as a clue, perhaps yours would be called something [depending on the type of plants]:
    抱き菊葉釘抜き
    Daki Kikuba Kuginuki

Anyway, I've looked for over an hour and cannot find yours on Google Search.

--Guy

Edit: plants it could be:
    茗荷 Myōga. Japanese ginger
    藤 Fuji. Wisteria
    柊 Hīragi. Holly
    菊葉 Kikuba. Chrysanthemum leaves

Aaaaaaaaand.... dunno why that open square is called "kuginuki" which translates to pliers [literally "nail puller"]. There is another kamon also called "kuginuki" and it LOOKS like a pair of pliers:

--Guy