Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Badges/Medals.........

Article about: Hi all ! Lately, I've had a yen (pun intended !) to collect Japanese medals, badges and 'smalls'. The hard part is determining what is from the WWII era and earlier, although 'common' pieces

Default Japanese Badges/Medals.........

Hi all !

Lately, I've had a yen (pun intended !) to collect Japanese medals,
    badges and 'smalls'. The hard part is determining what is from
    the WWII era and earlier, although 'common' pieces - such
    as medals of lower classes, are easier to identify.

WWII Japanese items are not seen here too often.
    Below are a few of the bits.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Badges/Medals.........   Japanese Badges/Medals.........  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-07-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Japanese Badges/Medals.........

Nice start Steve.
    I only have a few captured items and have stayed away from buying any since I know very little about them.
    Thanks
    Burt

Attractive looking items Steve !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very nice, Steve!

I'd like to put together a small representative collection of Japanese medals/ awards/ decorations, too... BUT it seems very difficult to find information on them!

It would be nice if someone could break them down into laymen terms... "this one was awarded for being wounded... like a german wound badge or US purple heart" "this one was awarded for bravery... like an EK2 or US bronze star" "this one was awarded for a higher degree of bravery like an EK1 or US silver star" etc. etc.

Imperial Japan had a wound badge like Germans and Americans. It comes in two types silver and gold, gold being for wounds received in combat, silver for others wounds. The Japanese equivalent to the EK or the bronze star would be the Order of the Golden Kite, as it was an award given out solely for military actions( bravery etc.). It comes in eight classes. That's what I can recall at the moment. Hope it helps!

John

- Nice items

?

A great online resource is the website, Imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com. There is a fantastic site map that has a ton of medal/badge examples from the common to the uber rare. Lots of great history in that collection you have!

Tom

Nice collection of them Steve.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks for the comments. - I have limited knowledge on a lot
    of this stuff, but I am slowly learning 'what's what'.
    The internet has been very helpful !

I'll post more as time permits.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by tomp View Post
    A great online resource is the website, Imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com. Tom
    I would like to second this. Mr. Catalano has put together quite the site complete with an interesting monthly newsletter detailing different bits about IJA medals' history, award statistics etc.. Usually has some good items for sale as well.

I've only begun collecting and reading up on Japanese medals over the past year, but have found so far that they are quite hard to find an exact age for a lot of awards. Most of these medals have remained the same from the mid 1800s to 2003, and the materials hold up quite well over time.

John

I've posted this one elsewhere, but it's so nice - here it is again.........!

Missing the rosette - 'Order of the Sacred Treasure' 5th Class:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Badges/Medals.........   Japanese Badges/Medals.........  

Japanese Badges/Medals.........   Japanese Badges/Medals.........  

Japanese Badges/Medals.........  
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast