Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please

Article about: So a while back I picked up this cool brass data plate which was translated to be from a IJN bomb cart like those used on aircraft carriers (thank you Guy!) Now I recently saw a WWII Japanes

Default Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please

So a while back I picked up this cool brass data plate which was translated to be from a IJN bomb cart like those used on aircraft carriers (thank you Guy!) Now I recently saw a WWII Japanese post card which looks to show 2 IJN sailors manhandling a bomb cart - so naturally I had to get this to match up with my data plate

While searching the web i also found a wartime Japanese phot which clearly was the inspiration for the Post Card artist!!

My questions are:

1.) Does anything on this postcard (either printed of hand written) definitively/imply that these are indeed IJN sailors?

2.) What is the back side handwriting on the post card talking about??

Thanks for any help that is provided and have a Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are

Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help pleaseJapanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help pleaseJapanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help pleaseJapanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help pleaseJapanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please

Nothing about the card motif. These are both army men, who both served together in Manchuria keeping in touch. It is written by a soldier of the 13th Army serving in China to one at HQ of the regimental district of Urawa in Saitama. He says he was sharing with his boss, warrant officer Murata, fond memories of the great time they spent together in Manchuria and that he had the same duty as before, currently busy preparing for autumn by XX with pails and strips of cloth. Say Hi for us if you see other former comrades, please.

This is the company that made the Type 15 bomb cart and mobile fire extinguisher props for the film, Eternal Zero.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please  

Nick

Maybe they used a different Model for their bomb cart. Perhaps for heavier bombs the IJN used wheels with different sizes and designs - notice the cart under this aircraft in the hanger has spokes when you zoom in. I have a good photo a a torpedo cart and those wheels are spoked too:

I found this plastic model of a Type 15 Type 3 on a Japanese Hobby website. The wheels are solid cores (sheet metal) with 6 radial holes. That seems to be a good match with the shadows cast in the photo used to draw the postcard. So I am thinking this PC and photo are of the IJN Type 15 Revision 3

Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please Japanese Bomb Cart - data plate and post card translation help please

Torpedo on a cart - Note spoked wheels. From the looks and direction of the planking I think this is from the deck of a carrier and just forward of the torpedo is the lowered aircraft elevator.

Last edited by Long Shot; 11-28-2020 at 01:51 AM.

?

thanks for sharing with us.

Quote by Long Shot View Post
    Torpedo on a cart - Note spoked wheels. From the looks and direction of the planking I think this is from the deck of a carrier and just forward of the torpedo is the aircraft elevator.

That is the Akagi in Hitokappu Bay just prior to sailing for the raid on Pearl Harbor.

Damn! What a moment in time