Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese canteen WW2

Article about: Hello to all. Some of the forumists can tell me the meaning of the writing on this my Japanese canteen WW2? Thanks and regards, Giovanni

Default Japanese canteen WW2

Hello to all.
    Some of the forumists can tell me the meaning of the writing on this my Japanese canteen WW2?
    Thanks and regards,
    Giovanni

Japanese canteen WW2Japanese canteen WW2Japanese canteen WW2Japanese canteen WW2

Nick will be along to give you a hand. Nice pick up ��

池原 is a Japanese family name, read Ikehara, and written by a Japanese, but the scratched-in rest is gibberish nonsense done most likely postwar

Rod
    ?

Nick, I'm wondering if the 1/13 P (cross, box etc) isn't 軍隊符号 making it a map notation for Ikehara's squad in an Engineer Unit.

And Dan Brown might say it's the coordinates for a hidden stash of gold, but why would a soldier express his unit ID as a riddle, only legible to a few men, when there was an easier way to show the unit of the owner in plain Japanese? Also scratching in owner info was not army practice, so I will stick to my original statement.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese canteen WW2  

Rod
    ?

Thanks Nick. It was just a thought inspired by the platoon/squad appearing fractional representation. I thought maybe the battalion flag was a "P" for 'Engineer' but it makes more sense the way you show it, which makes no sense as identification.