Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

japanese/Chinese flag

Article about: something different. i hope to get this translated i have had it for 10 years. in that time several people told me they could translate it but could or would not then offer to buy it. it was

Default japanese/Chinese flag

something different. i hope to get this translated i have had it for 10 years. in that time several people told me they could translate it but could or would not then offer to buy it. it was first thought to be fake well it is not fake but it is something different. the awesome Dan King can not help unless he can read Chinese. my sons teacher is from china and has offered to help she told me if she could not read it she could find someone who can lets cross our fingers. oh here are pictures of it. i have added a scan of page 152 (imperial japanese good luck flags and one-thousand stitch belts BY Michael a. Bortner dds) it might be a possible explanation as to what this flag is.
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag
    japanese/Chinese flag

not sure why the final photo is upside down i fixed it. there is a guy on face book who automatically sees something different and says fake. he even said the one in the book is fake to so i asked him. (Taka Ishizawa so you are saying the book is wrongs Michael a. Bortner dds) is lying about where the flag came from interesting? he says it was brought home by sergeant Ignatius j Rawa. explain this did the sergeant time travel to chi com china. is the book wrong and you are right. you have nothing but your word saying the flag is wrong i have proof it could be real. i think you are talking smack now just admit you were not familiar with this kind of flag and opened your mouth without any facts to back it up. people do not buy this book because according to taka ishizawa the info is wrong.)

Taka Ishizawa
    Simplified Chinese characters, probably done in the 50’s or onwards in Communist China.
    Keith McCauley
    Author i was told the Chinese on it is a style used before the war and only very educated would be able to do it. who knows as i said i have had people say they can translate it then they ask to buy it and when i say no i get no translation. i hope my sons teacher can shed some lite on what i have. i have kept it all of these years because i feel it is something special. over the years i have seen others like it sold as japanese flags returned as fake all the same pattern almost like a rebel flag. i will keep the group updated on the progress or lack of i think this time will be different. would be strange if the teacher offers to buy it.

Taka Ishizawa
    I know both Traditional and Simplified, but ok….lol
    Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa if you know then what does it say? if you can translate it you are better than 5 other people and they were native speakers. but ok ...lol

Keith McCauley
    Author

Taka Ishizawa here is some email correspondence from a professor On 3/18/2011 8:07 AM, Keith McCauley wrote:
    Hello my name is Keith, I recently purchased this flag thought it was a japanese prayer flag upon having it transulated I found out it was chinese writing on the flag. I need help transulating it, was told it was poetry on the flag. I am thinking this is a flag from japans occoupation of Taiwan. It is the only reason i can find as to why there is chinese poetry on a japanese flag. If you could transulate it for me and let me know what it says it would be much appreciated. If you can help or more pictures are needed please let me know. Thanks.
    K.C. Tu <kctu@eastasian.ucsb.edu>
    Mon 3/21/2011 12:34 PM
    Dear Mr. McCauley,
    The calligraphy is in Chinese and the lines are prose, not poetry. The sentences are fragmentary, which are random thoughts about a love relation with a woman. I suspect the piece was from China, not from Taiwan because Taiwanese under Japanese rule could not write in Chinese and the phrase saying "war of resistance against aggression for the sake of life" suggests that it was an idiom only used in China during the war period (1937-45), not in Taiwan under Japanese rule.
    For your reference, that's all I can figure out.

Keith McCauley Author
    i know my spelling sucked i had no spell check at the time. this is one email others have suggested the writing style was older. this flag has always been a mystery why was it made? who was it made for? you guys will be the first to know as soon as I find out.
    Taka Ishizawa
    Cantonese is my first language, so as soon as I saw the simplified characters this flag is definitely not written by Japanese nor Taiwanese.
    抗战為生 - Resist to survive
    爱情可爱 - Love/affection is cute
    Taka Ishizawa
    Overall not a real Japanese flag, especially with that crudely made Sun in the center.

Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa the thing is you are doing the same as everyone else you can read part but not all. everyone has translated that part. looks like a see bee flag. why was this made? Some have suggested a resistance flag no one knows possibly if it was fully translated i would know.
    Taka Ishizawa
    Itz a Chi-comm made souvenir flag to scam tourists so no point translating
    Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa we will wait until i get it translated. but good way to not admit you can not read it all.

Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa i guess this flag is also a (Chi-comm made souvenir flag to scam tourists) or is it possible you opened your mouth without doing your research. you are a good example of why people need to do your homework and not rely on the first opinion you hear. in the end you might be right but i find it funny after i found another example of a japanese looking flag in Chinese you have no comment.japanese/Chinese flag

Taka Ishizawa
    That’s a one look gibberish flag, so why bother focusing on it? Showed that to my buddies, they were laughing with me….
    Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa this is the same thing i would say if i was wrong and to proud to admit it.. you dismissed it because it is something you have never seen. good lesson here people just because it is something you have never seen does not mean it is fake. if people notice you have no reason to call it fake and you have not commented on the flag in the book. please explain to us why the one in the book is good and mine is not. there is no reason you just do not know and like to talk like you know when you do not. i hope this is a lesson to people to take what you say with a grain of salt. it is easy to call something fake you have a 50% chance to be right. so until you can give a good explanation for your comment I think you are talking out your well you know.

Keith McCauley Author
    Taka Ishizawa Simplifications to Chinese characters have been in use for almost as long as written Chinese has been around.
    A common early example of simplification is cursive handwritten Chinese, which has incorporated simplifications since the Qin dynasty (221 – 206 BC). However, until the 20th century, such simplifications were limited to handwritten notes and rarely made it into official documents.
    Introduction to Simplified Chinese Characters | CLI

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast