Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese civil defense helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I have been recenly interested in WW2 japanese civil defense helmets, and I am looking foward to buy one. But I don't know what variables to look for (Ex: Liner, straps, mark

Default Japanese civil defense helmet

Hello everyone,

I have been recenly interested in WW2 japanese civil defense helmets, and I am looking foward to buy one. But I don't know what variables to look for (Ex: Liner, straps, markings, etc.), or which "red flags" should I be on the lookout. Can someone help me? And I will be very thankful if someone can share their own japanese civil defense helmets to have an example to base on.

?

There are many variations of civil defense helmets and no 'standard' I think they were all commercially produced so shape, material and liner type can be anything and everything. They would make a good affordable collection in there own right.

I don't believe there is a thread that is specifically dedicated for posting civil helmets in general on the forum but searching 'japanese civil defense helmet' will throw up a number of individual examples.

They are not hard to find and come regularly on ebay so no need to rush in. Beware of badges would be my advice, some of them are embellished with known company logos etc.

Now you are here, post before you buy and you will get a thumbs up or down.

Steve.

?

as stated there are so many of them.

I only have one, but an interesting one. Here is the link:
    Japanese Helmet - What type?
    Cheers,
    Tony

MAP
    ?

I think the best way is to post what you find for feedback as well as searching the forum. As Steve notes, just so many variations out there.

Here is mine. A pretty run of the mill example.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As already been mentioned by others, there were limitless styles and materials. Materials ranged from thin steel, magnesium, aluminum, fiber, bamboo, and papier mache.

From early on, 1937-38, leather use for civilian goods was severely restricted, so most common was canvas as lining. Metal use also became tight for the civilian market in 1941 and big collection drives were held to recycle civilian pots and pans into military production. So it appears that companies that used to produce kitchenware started to make en mass civilian helmets.

If you want to avoid being taken in by slapped-on fake badgery, buy one without a badge or one with a civil defense badge shown below. Otherwise you'll likely end up with a postwar school badge from some elementary school.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese civil defense helmet